Current Winter Projects... couple changes in store for the GTS - dyno results

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
Re: Current Winter Projects... couple changes in store for the GTS - update 5/13/08

Paul said:
C'mon thorco - you don't want to go through all that trouble all over again for a fox intake? :hammer:

why would he anyway? j/w

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
Re: Current Winter Projects... couple changes in store for the GTS - update 5/13/08

veryveryvery nice :) :thumb:

typha1995

Reaction score

I am thinking about getting a Cobra intake for my 1995 GTS too. Does it have all the emissions components, etc, like the stock manifold? I live in California, so I'm stuck.

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

yeah the 94-95 cobra intakes are a direct swap from your stock gt intake manifolds.

I don't know which you had in mind but they also make reproduction cobra intakes (these are fox body style without the angle just after the throttle body). I believe you would need to do a full conversion to a foxbody tb, cable, etc... not real sure how you would retain your egr with this though. Your best bet would be to search in the 94-95 tech section, I'm pretty sure there is an intake swap thread that should have the info you are looking for.

-----------

should finish up some stuff this evening... maybe even post a vid later tonight.

typha1995

Reaction score

Thank you for the information. I'm on a pretty tight budget, like everyone, but someone suggested doing this swap if I could find a used Cobra intake somewhere. I just wasn't certain about whether or not it would accept all the current smog equipment.

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

typha1995 said:
Thank you for the information. I'm on a pretty tight budget, like everyone, but someone suggested doing this swap if I could find a used Cobra intake somewhere. I just wasn't certain about whether or not it would accept all the current smog equipment.

smog doesn't actually hook up to the intake manifolds. it just hooks up to the back of the heads, the midpipe and the smog pump itself. EGR is really the only thing you would need to worry about.

no emissions here in IN so I deleted my smog sometime last year.

--------------

I just finished routing my belts... that was all a major headache. The vortech belt was too long. tried a shorter belt and still couldn't get it to work. I've now routed the belt similar to how I ran it without the smog pump. Believe it or not I'm now running my stock motorcraft belt, which happens to be pretty worn so I'll pick up a new one sometime soon.

still hope to fire up the car tonight, just want to finish up my gauges first.

BlackMachDown

Reaction score
Re: Current Winter Projects... couple changes in store for the GTS - update 5/13

any updates?

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

well, sort of... I started the car to find that I had a fuel leak at my fuel pressure sender. took that apart, put it back in and no leak. I think I could possibly leaking coolant from the water neck... haven't dealt with that yet.

but, the car wouldn't run. couldn't hold an idle for crap. I'm around 35-40 psi fuel pressure, and messed with the timing but couldn't keep the car running without giving it gas. It's practically flushing gas out the tail pipes. It's so rich it'll make your eyes burn.

not real sure what my next step is at the moment. leaving for georgia in the morning and I'll be back monday. guess I'll give my tuner a call and see what he says. I don't think I could pull the car with my jeep (well might be able to but don't want to try) so I'd have to borrow my dads truck and locate/rent a trailor. Or Speedy's could possibly burn me a chip that could possibly get me there.

NASTYTIME

Reaction score

WOW man i like your style i love to polish all sorts of random things and man o man is your car Freaking sweet if i had half the tools you have I would be tearing stuff up myself. LOL Very Very nice stang my friend keep it up

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
Re: Current Winter Projects... couple changes in store for the GTS - update 5/13

thorco, didn't you say earlier you didn't have your o2's hooked up? or was that someone else?

project94

Reaction score

why is the new hood only open on the left side inside the cowl :hammer:

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

Car goes on the dyno monday... that's the plan anyways. Picked up a trailer today and after a couple hours finally got the car loaded up. It's a 16+2 trailer, dove tail with 5' ramps, and my car still wouldn't go up it without extra boards and some creativity. The car isn't running right now so we had to get a running start, push it up the ramps as far as possible then use a come-a-long to get it on the rest of the way.

Didn't know if my lil old jeep would pull it alright, but went ahead and ran it down the road and it seemed to pull just fine. Anyways, enough about that. Supposed to be at the shop Monday morning for dyno tuning.

here's a couple pics that never got posted.

new guages and shift light:

gauges.jpg

gauges2.jpg

gauges3.jpg

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

my custom headlight knob... painted black with brushed/satin top... not real sure if I like it. might do something else with it

hlnob.jpg

hlnob2.jpg

hlnob3.jpg

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

once the car is finally running it will be time to start working on the hood and decklid again. The undersides have gotten prepped/primed and about ready for paint.

hooddeck.jpg

hooddeck2.jpg

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

I'm going to try and remember to take my camera with me monday too. I'll try and snap a few more pictures, can't wait to drive the dang thing.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

looks very good man. What kinda deal do you have going on with the stock gauges? I really like the silver outline.

Hellion94

Reaction score

project94 said:
why is the new hood only open on the left side inside the cowl :hammer:

When H.O. Fibertrends (the company that was contracted to create the hood for the Cobra R in 1995) created the famous "Cobra R" hood, it discovered that having a vent on the right, rear side of the hood let the hot air from the engine compartment get drawn, or sucked, into the passenger compartment, making the interior of the car hotter.

Because of this, they decided that it would be best to simply have only 1 vent, on the left side of the hood.

I can attest to this, as my yellow car had a 3" Cobra R hood with 2 vents, and after the car got to operating temp, it would start getting hot on my feet, and throughout the interior, as if I had the heater blowing on my feet.

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

V said:
looks very good man. What kinda deal do you have going on with the stock gauges? I really like the silver outline.

they're just snap in gauge bezels... ridiculously overpriced but I thought they looked cool.

thanks for the info craig, I've never actually heard that. Had never given it much thought really.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

where'd they come from? or well where'd you get them? I like it alot, adds alot to an otherwise stock gauge cluster. The cars coming along very well man, she will be clean and mean when your all done

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score

V said:
where'd they come from? or well where'd you get them? I like it alot, adds alot to an otherwise stock gauge cluster. The cars coming along very well man, she will be clean and mean when your all done

pretty sure I ordered them from explicitauto or something like that. I was sort of dooped, thought I was getting satin aluminum rings, when they got here I realized I had just paid $40 for silver painted plastic rings... I went ahead and put them in anyways and actually thought they looked pretty good, so they stayed.

Like always more problems arose to kick my butt. had the key in the ignition all afternoon so that the steering wheel wouldn't lock while loading the car. of course I forgot about this and now the battery is dead. Put a bat charger on it for the evening... then wouldn't you know it, it starts to storm here. Murphy's law I guess, so the car is now out on the trailer with a car cover and tarp strapped over it. :wall:

anyways, couple pics of my tow pig.

towpig.jpg

towpig2.jpg

ontrail.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online