Degreeing stock npi/pi cams

Silver95bird

Reaction score
This is something I've been pondering a while. We all know oem cam gears have a 6*+/- on their timing, but with the cam reading I've been doing, I got to wondering if advancing the OEM cams like mhs does with their aftermarket cams would be worth anything in addition to simply equalizing the timing between the banks. Post 25 herehttp://forums.tccoa.com/7-engine-4-6l-5-4l/121033-who-has-measured-piston-valve-clearance.htmlThis seems to indicate that ditching the approximately 114 intake centerline would be well worth it. Maybe more so, because the NPI mhs cams are speced to a 106, so a factory cam should be able to clear easily. Pi heads are more in the 108 or 110 range, due to the head differences. 5-10hp at the wheels, no? Any thoughts?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Their is one problem here,....we dont know the actual mapped specifics of MHS cams.

Advancing would open the intake sooner and shut it sooner, Also exhaust open sooner and shut sooner all relative to the piston location. Doing so should pick up torque.

Retard the stock cam one tooth(8°)and find a way to grind the exhaust opening back a good 20° to 30°....be ready to roll!

07GtS197

Reaction score
Hey blak what did you find out in that thread where you advanced the npi cams to make more power than swapping to pi cams? That would be interesting to know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online

No members online now.