diagnose my cars problem

demon440

Reaction score
- 1995 GTS with a manual trans. all stock as far as I know other than, tri-ax shifter, cobra-r hood and bullet rims.
- starts up quickly every time
- idles pretty good, maybe slightly rougher than it should. but stable. gets up to temp with no over heating
- often times when accelerating normally to any speed the engine seems to randomly miss, causing a jerking feel.
- when a even speed is achieved, often the engine still misses, causing a jerking feel.

using a lcd code reader it has no problem codes during a engine off test. however when pulling the codes out of memory I get codes, 176, 211, 212 and 543.

what do the car experts out there think? Thanks in advance!

Bruce

ivan12

Reaction score
I don't know what those codes are buy it sounds like a bad or dirty MAF or a bad oxygen sensor

ivan12

Reaction score
You can look up the codes in the sticky posted

Lee12609

Reaction score
how old are your tune up parts??? plugs wires cap rotor?

OP
OP
D

demon440

Reaction score
I just bought the car so I don't know anything about it's history.

here are the code meanings

176 -Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control
211 -Ignition PIP signal was erratic or missing - Ignition Systems
212 -Ignition TACH signal was erratic (module/wiring) or SPOUT circuit fault - Ignition Systems
543 -Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits

hottwheels04

Reaction score
demon440 said:
I just bought the car so I don't know anything about it's history.

here are the code meanings

176 -Oxygen sensor not switching - system is or was lean Left or Front HO2S - Fuel control
211 -Ignition PIP signal was erratic or missing - Ignition Systems
212 -Ignition TACH signal was erratic (module/wiring) or SPOUT circuit fault - Ignition Systems
543 -Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits

That looks like the car is long overdue for a tune up, how many miles are on it?

I would start with a new plugs wires, distributor and tuneup, and chang all fluids oil ,fuel filters, put some fuel injector cleaner and a fresh tank of gas and compression test and drive it.

NotQuik

Reaction score
A full tune up was my first thought as well....I know your not wanting to throw money into it if it's not going to cure the issue, however atleast you'll have a clear mind knowing it's been done especially if your going to keep the car. Personally with your car Bruce, i'd do with the FRPP kit if they offer it still...i'm not big on after market parts in most cases hence the reason I went back to motorcraft plugs in the f150 and Mike will back me up on that.

Lee12609

Reaction score
sounds like a faulty TFI module to me. could be possible for multiple problems, but the misfire is what i'm speaking of.

OP
OP
D

demon440

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas. Today I replaced the cap and rotor with a msd kit. Nothing changed. However let me ask this about the cap. Is it normal for the cap to rock slightly of the distributor? The old one rocked a lot but the new one still rocks a little bit but not much.

Then I put in a new TFI module. nothing changed...

so what should I try next on the part changing game?

ivan12

Reaction score
Something cheap and easy: clean out MAF with MAF cleaner.
Not so cheap: Switch out your 02 sensors.

OP
OP
D

demon440

Reaction score
ok will do. I guess you can get MAF cleaner at the auto parts store?

I just got done checking my TPS sensor voltage and it read .903. and from what I've read, it should be between .98 and .99. So I've been trying to get the two screws lose so I can adjust it but they seem to be really stuck.

ivan12

Reaction score
It's easier to take off with the throttle body out, plus your It wouldn't hurt to wipe off the TB while it's out. Make sure you use a big enough screwdriver on the TPS, I ended up stripping the screws and had to cut a slit in them with my dremel tool and use a flat head

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sounds like the pip inside the distributor is going out. common issue also.
The pip sends the signal to keep the fuel pump running.
tach signal also comes from the dizzy too.
as for the 176 code- clean the maf

NotQuik

Reaction score
demon440 said:
thanks for the ideas. Today I replaced the cap and rotor with a msd kit. Nothing changed. However let me ask this about the cap. Is it normal for the cap to rock slightly of the distributor? The old one rocked a lot but the new one still rocks a little bit but not much.

Then I put in a new TFI module. nothing changed...

so what should I try next on the part changing game?

I assume you didn't know they can test TFI modules at Advance?

NotQuik

Reaction score
demon440 said:
ok will do. I guess you can get MAF cleaner at the auto parts store?

I just got done checking my TPS sensor voltage and it read .903. and from what I've read, it should be between .98 and .99. So I've been trying to get the two screws lose so I can adjust it but they seem to be really stuck.

I used IPA on a q-tip and and it worked fine after removing the sensor from the housing then cleaning. It actually cured my detonation issues on the green car. I'll tell ya once more if you need a hand or have a question not to be a stranger, if not then good luck. I went through similar stuff with my 95, just not quite as many codes, which it's been so long I can't remember which codes it pulled. I think I still have a motorcraft stator worst case scenario if you wanted to try that but I don't think it's your issue.

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
get crc mass air cleaner.... that shyts tried and true...

take the whole mass air off the car.. well, its what i did...

dries relatively quick too... and i noticed a helluva SOTP difference.

OP
OP
D

demon440

Reaction score
its fixed!! and the winner is DESERTCOX05! I changed the wires, tps, TFI, air filter, cap, rotor, and nothing. So today I went ahead and pulled off the distributor. When I turned it by hand it made a loud clicking sound. So rather than try taking is apart to fix it, I just bought a reman unit from auto zone for $100. Runs like a top now.

after resetting the codes I rescanned the car and now all I have it the 176 left. So I guess I'll start by cleaning the maf and see what that does. I also noticed some crappy vacuum lines I need to get fixed.

Thanks again all!

ivan12

Reaction score
That's good to hear, now if anything else comes up it'll be easier to narrow down since you changed all those parts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SN95.0

Members online