Difference in headers

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by redmustang95, Oct 5, 2006.

1. redmustang95

redmustang95 New Member

I've read that there is no real horse power gain in headers. Is that true or have I been mislead? What difference if any is there between stock shorty headers and aftermarket like BBK and MAC?

1995 GT 5-speed

2. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

who ever told you there is no gain with aftermarket headers is a MORON :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: any set will give you added power and tq over stock, but for the most part Long Tubes will provide the largest gains over the entire power band range. Mac headers are top notch as well as BBK ( I have BBK myself ) and even shorties and equal length have thier advantages also. It just depends on what you want to do with your set-up and how much power you want to make.........if you want BIG numbers your best bet is with the Longtubes. With those you can see gains of 10-15 hp over the stock ones you have now.

3. redmustang95

redmustang95 New Member

Basically my car is a virgin when it comes to mods. I bought from this chic that never did anything execpt for gas and oil changes. I am going to leave the engine stock for now. But will upgrade air intake, ignition, just basic stuff. Just want a better that average Stang.

4. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

exhaust is a great place to start :) May I also suggest.........pulleys / Cold air intake / 76 C&L mass air / 70mm tb / adj fuel regulator / 3:73 gears / and of course the old timing bump. That will get you started on the path to more POWER :bunny3: :bunny3:

5. redmustang95

redmustang95 New Member

already looking into those mods, costly but necessary.

6. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

to have significant hp gains yes............they are a MUST :)

7. 94TURBO5 0

94TURBO5 0 Member

Basic concept of flow. The stock headers you will notice when you compare them side by side during your swap are smaller tubes and crimped somewhat. You'll see and feel a significant difference with aftermarkets.

8. SVTGizzi

SVTGizzi Member

niiiiiiiiiice difference with aftermarkets...really noticable i love em!!! :dancing6:

9. wytstang

wytstang Well-Known Member

Honestly with stock heads you probably won't notice a difference imo. I didn't feel much of any increase over stock cripped headers going to BBK equal lengh headers. Now long tubes you probably will feel a nice increase over stocker but for shortys I dought it. .02

10. wytstang

wytstang Well-Known Member

Also I felt more hp/tq dumping the stock h pipe to an off-road h pipe then the shortys....