Do you think the 94-98 is a high point in auto design history?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I get people thinking its a much newer car; the look on their faces is funny when I tell them its a 97.

an old guy stopped by and was like "great mustang! What year is it? The new 2006?" I was like "No. Its a '96" You should have seen his face....

I get the same responses when people ask me what year my red car is and I tell them it's a 99... they're like, "No way. It looks brand new!"

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking about the side scoops and hood vents being non-functional on my car

Should have gotten a 94-95 we have functioning side vents... The hood vents are functional but they could be more functional then they are.

94-95 are the only ones with functional side scoops!?

didn't know that, guess I have no one to compare to around here :p I was going to say Ferocious that the side scoops are functional... well I'm not sure if they actually do much, but they're at least open. But I guess it was only the first ones, sweet.

I also get "What year is it" and when I tell them it's a 94 they think I'm insane. I actually argued with a guy about it... he thought it was the new 2011 at the time. I think he was a little cracked out though...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
We do need to recognize that the 94-95 mustang design saved the series no matter what anyone says if they like the design. Mustang was on the ropes at that time just like the Camaro/firebird that quit production shortly after this year and if it were not for car of the year/indy pace car and a successful design, it would have been canned too.

NCMystic

Reaction score
I always thought the sn95's looked like a sheet caught over a frame being pulled back by the wind, maybe that's an odd description but just the base effect i got from the design.

I had a built fox and used to drive a 68 mustang coupe and for whatever reason the cobra always felt the most like a "hot rod". is it just me or do sn's scare people to ride in more than other mustangs? the fox was fast but never made people nervous, the cobra seems to instigate some sort of visceral fear as soon as the seat buckle clicks together and i've never been able to figure out why.

I think they're timeless personally. I will feel the same way about sn95s and 68 fastbacks for the rest of my life.

Magic

Reaction score
People can talk all the smack they want about the 94-98 body style. All I know is I sure like mine.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will agree these mustangs do look rather boring in stock form, but as we've seen they have huge potential to be head turners.

Also the term functional is kinda thrown around about the 94/95 side scoops, they might let air through but that doesn't mean they're functional, they literally do nothing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will agree these mustangs do look rather boring in stock form, but as we've seen they have huge potential to be head turners.

Also the term functional is kinda thrown around about the 94/95 side scoops, they might let air through but that doesn't mean they're functional, they literally do nothing.
They look cooler the non-functional vents in a good burn-out.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
They look cooler the non-functional vents in a good burn-out.

well, you got me there lol

NYIRP_2008055.jpg

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Honestly I never really knew of the 94-98 body style until I looked on cars.com for a car. Was looking for a black on black mustang. Saw this and was like WOW look at that. Yeah when its stock, no exhaust, wheels, suspension, they look blah. But look at what everyone on here has done to their cars. I do think the 94-98s were good for their time, but now every car comes with a buncha more hp so everyone thinks they're mario andretti. People ask me, thats fast right? I'm like nah its only got like 215hp, oh thats not a lot. Back in 94-95 it was decently powered, now unless these cars are modded performance wise they're pretty slow especially autos. I feel like 94-98s aren't appreciated, every time I see a SN95 in person they look beat to hell and back. Ever wednesday I go to a car meet, I literally have the only 94-98 mustang their. And they have S197 GTs, V6's, GT500S, RTR Stang, 60s stangs, foxbodies, new edges, no 94-98s. I think ford was smart by making the body as round as it is, really makes the car flow. A lot of cars in that time were more boxy and compact. But as far as drivetrain wise, ford failed when they put the 5.0 in the 94-95s and only gave them 215 crank hp, these were supposed to be quick cars, they are in no way shape or form quick when stock. But you know what ,I'd take my 170whp almost 20 year old mustang over a newer one, mostly because i love the damn thing and other than that, 94-98s are a dying breed, we are more rare.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Ill be honest... I was a die hard Fox fani hated the SNs when they came out. Even when my buddy bought this car it had drag radials and a drag suspension, I didn't really start giving it a second thought until I lowered it for him. Then it started growing on me. Then I bought it with the intention of fixing it up and trading it for another fox. But the more I drove it and the more I did to it (and thought about future plans), the more I thought about how rare it is, the more I fell in love with it. Now there's no way I could get rid of it, even if it was for a really nice fox... I'd just have two mustangs.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
The sn95 platform (94-98) is truely timeless for its design, just updating the headlights from the old stockers to something more updated changes the way the car looks. There have been many occasions where me and my buddy was asked if that was 2000+ model, and we always told them it was a 96. The new edge actually looks older in my eyes because most of the cars these days have extreme sharp lines so of course your mind is going to compare it with the newer models out, our bodystyle there is no comparison because of how round they are from certain angles. Overall I will keep mine forever, I like how its rare to see a clean one these days and all the memories I had in it from when I was 17.

the.greg

Reaction score
It kept Fords rwd v8 platform afloat, they were gonna make it the ford probe which is fwd econo-ish with a probe gt optional.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Sn95's are my jam. It's my favorite body style. Most mechanical you can get while still maintaining some fluff/comfort. The newer cars have traction control and abs that actually works. I tend to prefer just a knob on the dash for AC. For me a car is about the driver and input. I'm happiest with a steering wheel, a shifter, and a cable clutch. Any new car I've ever bought or drove I felt very removed. Like two heart beats struggling against one another. But me and the cobra? We are in unison. It's glorious

Stad95GT

Reaction score
I don't think the 94-98 is a high point in automotive design either. I do believe they saved the Mustang like the II did back in '74. Our cars are getting less seen on the streets, particularly the 94-95's. I'm a member of our local Mustang club of about 75 cars and we have only 2- 5.0 & 1- 4.6 SN. The majority are SN197's. I'm normally the oldest car there during meetings/cruises.

I can see many more years from now where we will be a rare find at car shows like the II and people will be scrambling for parts for them to keep them restored. I'll keep my "rare" '95 until the day I die...:thumbsup:

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sn95's are my jam. It's my favorite body style. Most mechanical you can get while still maintaining some fluff/comfort. The newer cars have traction control and abs that actually works. I tend to prefer just a knob on the dash for AC. For me a car is about the driver and input. I'm happiest with a steering wheel, a shifter, and a cable clutch. Any new car I've ever bought or drove I felt very removed. Like two heart beats struggling against one another. But me and the cobra? We are in unison. It's glorious

that's quite poetic. :slowclap:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
94-95 are the only ones with functional side scoops!?

didn't know that, guess I have no one to compare to around here :p I was going to say Ferocious that the side scoops are functional... well I'm not sure if they actually do much, but they're at least open. But I guess it was only the first ones, sweet.

I also get "What year is it" and when I tell them it's a 94 they think I'm insane. I actually argued with a guy about it... he thought it was the new 2011 at the time. I think he was a little cracked out though...

My 96 has "functional" side vents but its an early production 96 so probably left over from 95.

NCMystic

Reaction score
My 96 has open honeycomb in the scoops but no outlet in the wheel well. my 97 v6 had the opening in the wheel well, odd.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my 96 V6 had the open scoops that lead to nowhere and my 96 GT has closed scoops. lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its long been known that they would run the parts they have out prior to switching over to new parts for little details like that crap no matter the year. Same thing with the front of the rockers when they switched 94-95'ish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online