Doorman intake manifold for npi

Motojoe

Reaction score
So I ordered a new manifold form american muscle and to my surprise it's a dorman. The web site doesn't say it's a dorman anywhere. I've heard nothing but bad things about it. I called ford and they want 700 for a npi intake. I didn't want to to the pi intake swap because I'm thinking about selling the car and wanted to keep it cheap as possible. Should I just install the dorman. What do you guys think

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've been through 3 intakes manifolds so far; stock NPI, OEM PI, and Dorman PI. To my surprise, the one that I have on right now is the Dorman and I haven't had a single issue. If you ordered from American Muscle and haven't installed it yet, I believe they will let you return it. They also sell a Ford Racing PI intake on their site for $215: http://www.americanmuscle.com/intake-manifold.html

I'm assuming that the one your ordered was this one?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pi-intake-manifold-9904gt.html

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if you're selling the car just put on the cheapest one you can. even the cheapest one will last for 50,000 miles with no issues.

OP
OP
M

Motojoe

Reaction score
The one I bought is actualy the NPI version of the one you posted. I am not 100% sure if I'm selling the car but for the right price I'd let it go. I would love to do a pi swap and keep it but I do not have the time right now. 2nd baby on the way. I was going to do a pi manifold swap like I said but right now I'm trying to keep it simple and quick. I read so many posts on the dorman being junk but I can't seem to find any now when I search. And I didn't see to many posts saying just doing the pi manifold makes a noticeable difference.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Just put the dorman on. It will work with no issues or performance changes on a nonpibgt. I put one on my gt when my original cracked.

The people complaining about them are pi people because there smaller and more restrictive than the ford piversion.

The nonpi dorman intake is pretty much oem spec for nonpi stangs.. it just uses rubber gaskets to seal.

The pi dorman intake is the one people hate.
* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Where are you located? I have a Ford NPI Intake laying around but it needs a crossover ( I swapped onto my PI) that you can have cheap.

GDTrumbo

Reaction score
I have had a Dorman on mine since '06 when the OEM cracked. Now with 201K+ there have been no issues whatsoever

GT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online