Drag Radials

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I plan on going to the track this upcoming spring. I'll have my 4.10s in by then, and I'll have just about full bolt ons and full exhaust including longtubes. Whats a good set of drag radials for the rear? Might get another set of bullitts for the rear and throw the radials on there just for drag use.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mickeys

clint-nod.gif

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you plan on going to the track often?

I wouldn't bother with slicks if you're only gonna hit the track like 2-3 times. Just launch it with street tires.
Ask yourself, does that .10 second difference really mean that much that you're willing to buy new tires?

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Do you plan on going to the track often?

I wouldn't bother with slicks if you're only gonna hit the track like 2-3 times. Just launch it with street tires.
Ask yourself, does that .10 second difference really mean that much that you're willing to buy new tires?

Yeah I plan on going pretty often since its always been something I've wanted to do. I can launch it now without spinning but I know the 4.10s are gonna spin like crazy. I'll have to think about it, I have plenty of time. And besides I can use it on another Mustang if I get one. thanks for that, definitely a thought

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinkin.. What size on 17x9s? 275/40?

Someone else will be able to help you better than I. I could tell you but there's a "too small/too big" area that I'm not certain on with slicks.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Clearly you don't race [MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION] . We're talking 1/2 second atleast of a gain in most cases . If yours cars a stock auto it won't leave as hard as I do but personally I'd run a Mickey Thompson et street bias ply in a 26x10.00 even a 26x8.5 would be ok . If your auto Mickey Thompson drag radials would be fine . The difference from street tires to slicks with my car is atleast a second maybe more of I'm spraying

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you want a real bias ply slick Mickey Thompson makes the for 17's even which is good for the guys with big brakes like me . If you can find a cheap set of v6 wheels or stock gt 16" wheels you'll be good to go . I run my tires at like 13psi at the track lol

Magic

Reaction score
If the OP will be running a 4.10 gear with the AODE, Im wondering if he will run out of gear before the end of the 1/4 with a 26 inch tall tire (if he goes with a 17x9 and the 275/40-17 MT Drag Radial).

Wichers123

Reaction score
Just to give you some perspective on tires. I ran a 13.6 at 109 mph that should easily be a mid 12 sec pass. Street tires spinning threw third

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
If the OP will be running a 4.10 gear with the AODE, Im wondering if he will run out of gear before the end of the 1/4 with a 26 inch tall tire (if he goes with a 17x9 and the 275/40-17 MT Drag Radial).

I was thinking the same thing actually. May want to consider a 28"

Kyle what do you think?

RichV

Reaction score
A stock 5.0 with AODE? Can you do a burnout now? Not being a dick, but I don't think you have the power yet to need a slick.

Now add some nitrous, different story.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't bother with slicks. Especially if you're just starting out on the track. I'd just try to pick up a cheap set of wide street tires and rims for the rear.
Then once you decide you actually want to get into and have the money for the sport, try slicks then.
IMO get some seat time with street tires then move up.

Wouldnt slicks be hard on a stock drivetrain?

good point rich, would he even be able to heat up the tires?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I plan on going to the track this upcoming spring. I'll have my 4.10s in by then, and I'll have just about full bolt ons and full exhaust including longtubes. Whats a good set of drag radials for the rear? Might get another set of bullitts for the rear and throw the radials on there just for drag use.

Get a pair of 15" tri bar mustang wheels... There literally the lightest wheel ford ever produced besides a purpose build drag wheel.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Clearly you don't race Ferocious . We're talking 1/2 second atleast of a gain in most cases . If yours cars a stock auto it won't leave as hard as I do but personally I'd run a Mickey Thompson et street bias ply in a 26x10.00 even a 26x8.5 would be ok . If your auto Mickey Thompson drag radials would be fine . The difference from street tires to slicks with my car is atleast a second maybe more of I'm spraying

No I don't race.

Now that that's out of the way... putting slicks on a stock car with an automatic and gears will not net him 1/2 of a second (assuming he's not launching on spares :p)

Like Rich said, it seems like a waste of money at this point. Maybe if he gets real serious about it down the line, but I would definitely not spend money on slicks for my first time down the track. I'm just trying to help him out. I know he's on a college-student budget so I don't want him throwing money on unnecessary parts.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
good point
Just to give you some perspective on tires. I ran a 13.6 at 109 mph that should easily be a mid 12 sec pass. Street tires spinning threw third
hmm..
A stock 5.0 with AODE? Can you do a burnout now? Not being a dick, but I don't think you have the power yet to need a slick.

Now add some nitrous, different story.
I can do a burnout no problem, roast em easily.. Now if you mean just hit it and it lights the tires up, than no way lol. If I do h/c/i I would benefit from slicks right?
No I don't race.

Now that that's out of the way... putting slicks on a stock car with an automatic and gears will not net him 1/2 of a second (assuming he's not launching on spares :p)

Like Rich said, it seems like a waste of money at this point. Maybe if he gets real serious about it down the line, but I would definitely not spend money on slicks for my first time down the track. I'm just trying to help him out. I know he's on a college-student budget so I don't want him throwing money on unnecessary parts.

Good lookin out dude.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't bother with slicks. Especially if you're just starting out on the track. I'd just try to pick up a cheap set of wide street tires and rims for the rear.
Then once you decide you actually want to get into and have the money for the sport, try slicks then.
IMO get some seat time with street tires then move up.

Wouldnt slicks be hard on a stock drivetrain?

good point rich, would he even be able to heat up the tires?

Heat them up as in do a burnout? gas + brake? Does that now no problem there. I'll hopefully have my HCI figured out so than slicks would be more beneficial

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Clearly you don't race Ferocious . We're talking 1/2 second atleast of a gain in most cases . If yours cars a stock auto it won't leave as hard as I do but personally I'd run a Mickey Thompson et street bias ply in a 26x10.00 even a 26x8.5 would be ok . If your auto Mickey Thompson drag radials would be fine . The difference from street tires to slicks with my car is atleast a second maybe more of I'm spraying

Yeah stock aode, no shift kit or anything, all stock. Well I could run the MT E.T streets, and that would definitely be better than stock goodyear eagle gt's. I can launch now on dry pavement and not spin, wet weather i can spin for as long as im on the throttle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online