Drag Radials

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Heat them up as in do a burnout? gas + brake? Does that now no problem there. I'll hopefully have my HCI figured out so than slicks would be more beneficial

I wouldnt be so sure about turning a meaty pair of slicks.
I think mine would have difficulties doing it.

My friend has a 350 short box pickup, he can roast normal street tires and big smoke show. When he has his street DR, it only turns them good sometimes and not terribly good.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I wouldnt be so sure about turning a meaty pair of slicks.
I think mine would have difficulties doing it.

My friend has a 350 short box pickup, he can roast normal street tires and big smoke show. When he has his street DR, it only turns them good sometimes and not terribly good.

Ah good point.. I have maybe 190-200 rwhp if I'm lucky lol. Probably better off with some ET Streets

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea the auto is what's holding you back you need to j mod that thing

RichV

Reaction score
Yes, I meant without power braking. If you go to a stop, put the trans in 1, and hit it off the converter a bit. If you don't spin with the tires you have currently, a slick will do nothing. With the h/c/i, maybe. But even with the h/c/i you may have another 50hp.

Lauch on nitrous, you need slicks. :)

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yes, I meant without power braking. If you go to a stop, put the trans in 1, and hit it off the converter a bit. If you don't spin with the tires you have currently, a slick will do nothing. With the h/c/i, maybe. But even with the h/c/i you may have another 50hp.

Lauch on nitrous, you need slicks. :)

Ahh.. I'd have to try it lol, never really attempted it. Its rare I can spin with the exception of sub 40 degree weather or the rain haha. I plan on getting the 4.10s in real soon so that should be a test, they should definitely spin off the line without power braking it. Decided on the trickflow top end kit, with a dyno tune and my full exhaust, I should be around 300 rwhp.. Add bigger injectors, fuel pump etc..

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
My car doesn't burnout for shit lol. I launch it and it goes rrrr gone lol

Might have something to do with good tires and fully built rear

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
My car doesn't burnout for shit lol. I launch it and it goes rrrr gone lol

Might have something to do with good tires and fully built rear

Atleast you have decent power, I probably barely brake 200 rwhp.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I'm only about 230-250rwhp at best with right about 300 at the crank lol

Lot more than I got, than add the aode.. even worse haha.. Probably doing a trickflow full top end so that'll change. I think with what I've done, LT's, full exhaust, cai, 76mm maf, coil pack, 9mm wires & Iridium plugs.. Should be around 240-250 to the crank from the stock 215 ##

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Lot more than I got, than add the aode.. even worse haha.. Probably doing a trickflow full top end so that'll change. I think with what I've done, LT's, full exhaust, cai, 76mm maf, coil pack, 9mm wires & Iridium plugs.. Should be around 240-250 to the crank from the stock 215 ##

Sounds like you've got a plan in motion my friend. Now hold yourself to it and get it done! I think you'll be a lot happier with TF top end on it. And I going with a 72mm myself.... ;)

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a plan in motion my friend. Now hold yourself to it and get it done! I think you'll be a lot happier with TF top end on it. And I going with a 72mm myself.... ;)

Yeah I decided instead of piecing shit together Trickflow already does the work and all I'd need is a throttlebody adapter, lifters and obviously supporting fuel mods. The 76mm maf came with the C&L intake I got for xmas a year ago. **** fenderwell intakes, ram air all day..

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Oo my 72mm had a meaning behind it because I'm already running a 110mm (I think? It's a 99 cobra lol). And good thinking man. What kind of fuel mods you thinking of? Didn't know you had to upgrade them for just a TF top end kit? I'm 5.0 clueless lol

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Opinions are great, especially if you truly believe.

If your going to the track, do not use a street tire, you wreck the surface for the rest of us....street tires will pull up prep and make it slick. You can get a set of v6 wheels dirt cheap, get new mt 26/8.5/15 et drags for 175 new all day long.

If you want an et street fine (that is what Kyle uses I believe) I always ran slick, but I like the 8.5for weight... I never. Blew them off and never had an issue.

Myth #1 SLICKS ARE HARDER ON DRIVELINE PARTS IS FALSE. A soft wall slick will absorbed more shock then a drag radial which will pass on the shock to the driveline.

I would launch 6k clutch drops and cut 1.62 60' on stock trans clutch and axles...........

Also about the "can you even heat them up" .....you an ass, you pull in to a water box, flip the. Tires, pull forward and light em up.............. A v6 with slicks an do it with out even straining....

Personally I wouldn't bother with slicks. Especially if you're just starting out on the track. I'd just try to pick up a cheap set of wide street tires and rims for the rear.
Then once you decide you actually want to get into and have the money for the sport, try slicks then.
IMO get some seat time with street tires then move up.

Wouldnt slicks be hard on a stock drivetrain?

good point rich, would he even be able to heat up the tires?

Any other questions hit me up....

joekd

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that the $$ you are going to spend on wheels and DR's can be put to better use, the extra traction and less then .5 second improvements are not worth it

Learn how to launch on street tires (which just takes a lot of practice) and you will be fine

If you get so addicted to track racing that you find yourself entering point classes then look into the DR's

1bad9d5

Reaction score
how do people feel about the Nitto Invos? its pretty much made like a street/drag tire, great for grip.. he can use them on his car, only thing is thread life is absolutely horrible.... me and my father used up a set on his Shelby and they are pretty much a slick now, I was gonna use them on my car when I go to the track... should he try some?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any other questions hit me up....
Thanks?
I have no idea what your deal is. No need to call me an ass.

Its perfectly fine to run a street tire on a track. If it wasn't they wouldn't let you on with street tires.
Slicks have been known to wreck stuff.. If the proper tires and setup I can see them absorbing a lot of the force. It will all depend on the situation.
Vibration would be the worst.

shorty

Reaction score
Not only will you pull up the rubber on the track, but track surface is not the same as street surface.
2 different materials. you might not spin on the street, but with street tires on the track i can almost guarantee you will spin. unless you soft launch it. And if you do that, you're going to run some shitty times.
Spend the money and get some slicks. if you don't want to spend a lot then get ya some Hoosiers.
In fact you can run Hoosier round track tires like the Hoosier Comanches if you are on a low budget, there cheap, hook, and last a long time.
but if you got the cash, then buy a set of ET drags. Finally got me a set and cant wait to hit the track.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks?
I have no idea what your deal is. No need to call me an ass.

Its perfectly fine to run a street tire on a track. If it wasn't they wouldn't let you on with street tires.
Slicks have been known to wreck stuff.. If the proper tires and setup I can see them absorbing a lot of the force. It will all depend on the situation.
Vibration would be the worst.

Its that I directly called you an ass, I called every one an ass for seriously considering if a v8 with slicks could spin tires.

I get annoyed when people give advise on topics they have no clue on. I dont go and post in 5.0 tech, suspension, or electronics (radio and stuff) because there are other people who can provide posts with true information then opinions. I really am not picking on you, but I am trying to get you to realize you dont post information that you dont know is factual. I have made more passes in a season then you have in your life. I get that you did a good job with your 4.2 and blower swap, congrats you have an impressive car. But please dont give advise about drag racing when you dont know anything.

On the topic of street tires and drag racing. Most of the time your local track will have 2 street nights, one where its only street tires and drag radials, and one for all and allow slicks. The reason for this is they will try to let the slick tire guys (normally on a friday night) get some t&t runs in a particular lane because of an event that weekend. As [MENTION=16633]shorty[/MENTION] said (as did I) it will pull the rubber off the track with street tires and make a much slicker surface then intended.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay thanks. I can post what I like. People can choose to take it or leave it. I personally don't take everything for truth I read on a forum.

Not everyone's experience is the same.
Slicks have a reputation for wrecking things. I'm not saying its always the case. Unless you can prove to me that every kind of slick tire has less force on the drive train than a street tire.

It is perfectly fine to show up to a public event with street tires. If you're that hardcore to get mad at those people, go somewhere else.

It obviously a large debate. If you look it up theres large amount of people for both sides. I simply see it as; for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

kb1982

Reaction score
Personally, i dont think you would need anything more than a street drag radial at most. They work alot better on auto cars than they do manuals. As for spinning slicks, get them wet, and the challenge is not spinning them, which can get pretty hairy if caught in an impromptu rain shower. With the street drag radials, you could slap them on, drive to the track, and only have to worry about adjusting air pressures. Portable air tank ftw. As for breaking things, thats what its all about. Always looking for more horsepower, faster times, which is always gonna find the weakest link in your setup. Break it, upgrade it, and rest assured after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online