-:DSS Racing:-

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
don't buy anything besides that main girdle from DSS..I spent almost $2k over there and got treated like I was wasting their time (both when in the store and over the phone (over the coarse of about a month))..not getting told what I will need to support what I bought so I had to spend more money than Tom (the owner) said I was going to..had to de-burr the main bearings and the crankshaft myself even though I paid $200 to have polished and balanced..and tolerances were larger than I would've preferred on almost everything (bought full 331 stroker kit).......I've been meaning to let people know about them and haven't........the girdle is nice though....there's plenty of good speed shops out there and I was about 85% unimpressed with DSS

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good to know man . Thanks for saying this out front

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think I'd be buying from them anytime soon with reviews like this. Your not a difficult dude to deal with and if your unhappy then that's sayin something.

Side note: lady friend and I watched that vid you posted on youtube in the Chevelle... Kept looking at it like wait that thing sounds familiar... Dude driving looks and sounds familiar.... **** that's Tyler! Haha must have been fun to drive bro

OP
OP
whiplash473

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not hard to deal at all..and on top of it I spent about $1800 by the time it was said and done..not exactly like I was buying a set of bearings (which would've scored the shit out of the crank that I paid $200 to have polished/balanced if I didn't deburr them myself)

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty lame if you ask me. If your gonna treat people like that then you shouldn't even be in business ya know? The customers are the ones keeping you in business lol... O well at least you got all your shit together and running!

DSS RACING

Reaction score
I am new to this Forum. This is my first post. I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with my company and me. I have been in this business for over 30 years, and You are right our customers are everything to us. Without happy satisfied customers we would not be here. It sounds like this incident happened a while ago because Ido not recall it. It does not matter what matters is the end result of a unhappy customer. Talking to sometimes upwards of 100 people a day can take its toll. We can not always roll with the customer is always right mantra. If you had seen what people try to pull on us over the past 30 years you would understand. The art of engine building is way more complicated than just bolting things together. If your clearances are looser than you want then you have to start blueprinting your parts that is what engine builders do. All parts have tolerances cranks, rods,bearings etc. it is the engine builders job to put those tolerances where he wants them. If you received something out of spec I would hope you would have returned it under our parts warrantee. I am truly sorry for not doing a better job in understanding you and your concerns. Going forward if you wish to discuss further I would be glad to talk about it. PM me your contact info or feel free to callme.
Sincerely Tom Naegele DSS RACING

OP
OP
whiplash473

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've said what I needed to say..if it were like your post when dealing with DSS in real life then there would be no problem

EDIT: I will say - DSS' pistons are nice..honestly the only thing I was actually impressed with

KidK9

Reaction score
I agree, Tyler is easy to deal with. I've sold him prolly close to $500-$700 worth of stuff. Plenty of communication and patient. As long as you're upfront about everything, he seems to roll with the punches.

On the other hand, it takes a guy with a solid core to be on the internet and handle criticism and try to make it work right. I dont know much about DSS, but if they have been in business 30 years and it's the same owner, they don't get that way by screwing people over left and right.

But one should not assume in business that because one person screws you over and your phone rings 100 times per day that every customer of your shop is waiting to do the same thing. Some people just want good old fashion honesty and craftsmanship.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I agree Kid to respond to the criticism and not just ignore it shows some character.

And Tom I fully understand where you come from when you talk about how customers try to pull one over on you. Fully. It happens where I work every single day, and to be honest I just want to smack some of these people with their total arrogance... But at the end of the day that arrogant ass is still keeping us in business so we just have to deal the situation accordingly, and maintain a good customer experience. That's all I'm saying :) But I definitely give you props for answering the criticism as opposed to just ignoring it like you could have done!

OP
OP
whiplash473

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of hard to fix an issue when the car is put together already. I didn't get this kind of service when i told DSS that I had to deburr the counterweights and main bearings myself, all I got was "huh, interesting."

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
stunned DSS responded.... wow.

and ive only heard good things about them, but ive never worked with them personally. lol.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks to hear man. Its nice that DSS at least came on and apologized, not that an apology deburrs parts and tightens up clearances. Im going to be buying a set of DSS pistons for my 2V based on the good things that Ive heard about them, and its good to hear that you are also impressed with their pistons too....

OP
OP
whiplash473

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah like I said - they're pistons were nice, I'm assuming that this is because they're CNC'd and not done by hand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online