Dude, can I run a .750 lift cam with my stock E7 heads???

Werecow

Reaction score
Yeaaaahhhh, right.... Thought the title would catch your attention.. if your reading this you've probably been "can curious" about which one you can run in your pony at some time or another. I just watched what's probably the best explanation of how to choose a cam, how to determine maximum rpms, and what kind of power your NA engine should make. The YouTube channel is Myvintageiron7512 and the name of the video is "How to properly select a Camshaft". I'd post it but I'm not sure how to do it properly. He does go into some maths that are really good to make notes on and he really does simplify things a lot. It's a really good one to watch for anyone even mildly interested in engine tech along these lines. Cheers!!

95opal

Reaction score
I got a few minutes in and couldnt take anymore. I suggest getting better info.

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Sry, I thought it was pretty good info and found it really cool as far as the relationship between the heads and selection of a camshaft. He may have gotten a Lil wordy on the explanationa but I guess that's so he could break it down to some people who never had all this broken down to them this way. I'm sorry if you didn't get anything out of it, I did find it quite informative..

joe65

Reaction score
I'll check it out. Just for conversation's sake. There's a guy by the Name of Todd Warren on FB. His company does the Bullet cams. He is pretty easy going and available for discussion. I'm planning on having him work up some cams for me in the future. Any time the subject of cams comes up on FB everyone mentions his name.....At least in the Modular or 2v pages i follow there.

well, i could only make it 8 minutes. The guy seems to know his stuff and i'm sure there's some great info. in there. His format just kept me from staying with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Thanks joe65! I appreciate another opinion and set of eyes on the subject!

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
I've heard that name around a bit but I've never been in touch with him. I kinda liked this YouTube video because it got into a good explanation of a lot of the how's and why's of head flow and camshaft selection, and later on he gets into figuring out your Max rpm for your engine by piston speed and even Max horsepower that a given head can make.. yeh it's a lot of maths and engine theory, which may not be everyone's cup of tea.. sry I just thought it a fascinating subject. Oh well...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No problem wercrow. We’re all here for good discussion. But definitely consider talking to @Ed Curtis if you need a cam for pushrods. The guy is a legend when it comes to cams for our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I'll check it out. Just for conversation's sake. There's a guy by the Name of Todd Warren on FB. His company does the Bullet cams. He is pretty easy going and available for discussion. I'm planning on having him work up some cams for me in the future. Any time the subject of cams comes up on FB everyone mentions his name.....At least in the Modular or 2v pages i follow there.

well, i could only make it 8 minutes. The guy seems to know his stuff and i'm sure there's some great info. in there. His format just kept me from staying with it.

I wouldnt call someone that runs a computer cam designer program and use guinea pig followers a person of knowledge. Im not saying he hasnt gained knowledge through out the years, but early in the game he blew alot of hot air. I will give him an A+ for attentiveness. He goes the extra mile with communication.

joe65

Reaction score
I wouldnt call someone that runs a computer cam designer program and use guinea pig followers a person of knowledge. Im not saying he hasnt gained knowledge through out the years, but early in the game he blew alot of hot air. I will give him an A+ for attentiveness. He goes the extra mile with communication.

yeah i hear where you're coming from, its always a good thing to be skeptical and make someone earn your trust when it comes to sending them a chunk of money. I could also imagine that there are computer programs that just take input and crank out cam profile. But it does help, i imagine, when a person has specific experience with an engine.

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
One of the takeaways I got from it was the formulas for airflow to horsepower on heads. That's gonna be really helpful for me when I get to the point for head selection whenever I get ready to build the engine I'd like to for my ride. I do also realize tho that you can get heads that have ports that are too large which make for sluggish response on the street so there will have to be some sort of compromise made..

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh I'm planning on a big block for later on if I'm gnna be buying heads.. I do wanna look into the possibility of using fuel injection on it tho, I really like the ProFlo 4 system that Edelbrock has out over all the throttle body injection systems that seem to be flooding the markets now..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online