Electrical issue

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
When the car is running the gauges will only work when the A/c or radio is off. Also the windows roll down really slow. Also stepping on brake causes gauges to quit and lights dim. The alternator and battery have both been tested and passed. What could this be? I am new to working on cars but learning.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
then the battery should be ok. start simple and check your grounds. By check I mean remove, clean the area and then tighten them back down nice and snug. If it isn't the first thing you check, it will be the last after a very frustrating time.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As Scott said, start with the grounds.

And a word to the wise, testing a battery doesn’t always show the truth. It’s a kid test with the battery holding still. If there’s a broken or shorted cell inside the battery it can act like the battery went dead instantly when being moved around with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
As Scott said, start with the grounds.

And a word to the wise, testing a battery doesn’t always show the truth. It’s a kid test with the battery holding still. If there’s a broken or shorted cell inside the battery it can act like the battery went dead instantly when being moved around with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
exactly as he said, to really test the battery you need to charge it, let it sit for a couple of hours and then test it. I have seen batteries that vatozone took off the charger and slapped the tester on and it read good. 3 hrs later when I was home and it was hooked up to nothing it was loosing voltage. But this is why I asked if its starting. As long as its cranking strong then the battery should be ok.

OP
OP
K

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
then the battery should be ok. start simple and check your grounds. By check I mean remove, clean the area and then tighten them back down nice and snug. If it isn't the first thing you check, it will be the last after a very frustrating time.

Was checking ground wires and found this. It is on the passenger side close to the firewall. Any idea where it goes?

Attachments

• IMG_20190716_164217645.jpg
    IMG_20190716_164217645.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online