Engine Cleaning

98BlackGT

Reaction score
okay well i go to a few shows locally and everyone always pops their hood (even though i dont want to i want to show off my cowl hood) but i was wondering how people clean their engine bays with cold air intake and all the wires without ruining them. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I spray mine with simple green and then hose it off, you can wrap the coils/MAF with bags if you want but I usually just keep direct pressure off them and it's fine.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
What he said ^

Best way to do it is let the engine heat up, then cover your alt and intake with foil or plastic, spray it with simple green, then close the hood down to let it kind of hot box inside. Then spray it down with a hose. You can use turtle wax tire shine on the wiring harneses and hoses to make them more black.

Or if you're crazy like me you can take the engine out like im doing right now and clean/repaint everything, repaint engine bay, remake and hide all wiring harnesses, move the battery to the back, fuse box under fender, ac delete, move brake lines, egr delete, etc.

joekd

Reaction score
I don't cover anything, your motor is designed to get a little wet. As long as you don't monsoon drench it you will be fine.

Degreaser and a hose is all you need (small scrub brush if really dirty) I get it warm (not hot) spray it down with the degreaser, start the motor and leave it running while I hose it off

02GT

Reaction score
I don't cover anything, your motor is designed to get a little wet. As long as you don't monsoon drench it you will be fine.

Degreaser and a hose is all you need (small scrub brush if really dirty) I get it warm (not hot) spray it down with the degreaser, start the motor and leave it running while I hose it off

This is what I do, i use megs apc+ but any good degreaser will work really.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
What everyone else said + little brushes/rags/towels to really get in there and scrub... All you gotta do is put the time in for it to turn out nice, scrub, scrub, scrub...

Sinned83

Reaction score

THIS but I use a water based dressing for the hoses and what not it looks like you spent a lot of time but its a quick job.

cobraracer46

Reaction score
I spray the Purple non corrosive simple green onto a cold engine and then just simply hose it off. I then drive the car to dry off the water. Works well for me. Never use the auto parts engine degreasers like Gunk as they will damage painted surfaces.

OP
OP
98BlackGT

98BlackGT

Reaction score
Thanks all. i was very nervous about messing some wiring up in there. but i have a gallon of simplegreen ill throw into a spray bottle and use that.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
i dilute my simple green like 4:1 with water and it's plenty strong for most dirt, some people say it stains bare aluminum (I haven't noticed) so I'd use caution if you're going to be spraying it unmixed.