Engine concern (2003)

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Step son is looking for a GT vert. He found a 2003 that looks clean but has 158,000 miles. Automatic trans. Price is $5800. Thoughts? He hasn’t seen it yet but is trying to decide if it is worth going to look at

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
from that little info there isn't much we will be able to tell you. Depends on how it was driven and maintained. Take it for a drive and give it some hell, see if it blows smoke and what is rattling.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Well he is supposed to go look at a 1998 GT vert Saturday. 98,000 miles. Looks very clean. Bright yellow with black top and interior. It's 3.5 hours away but if all goes well he will be driving it back from there Saturday.

Connie

Reaction score
Step son is looking for a GT vert. He found a 2003 that looks clean but has 158,000 miles. Automatic trans. Price is $5800. Thoughts? He hasn’t seen it yet but is trying to decide if it is worth going to look at. It seems worth a look. Check to see what condition the Paint is in first. I know it sounds strange, but a car that's taken care of on the outside will most likely have been taken care of on the inside. I would also get down on the ground and check for Oil and Coolant leaks, just before you begin inspecting the Engine and Tranny. Pull the Dipsticks on the Oil and Trans, to look and smell for BURNT Fluids too.
Step son is looking for a GT vert. He found a 2003 that looks clean but has 158,000 miles. Automatic trans. Price is $5800. Thoughts? He hasn’t seen it yet but is trying to decide if it is worth going to look at

ctandc

Reaction score

Miles don't mean all that much to be honest. I'd rather buy a car from someone who stored it inside, cared for it, did regular maintenance and drove a lot - versus an unknown with lower miles.

The '98 GT is a non PI car - if that matters to you. $5800 for a '03 GT ragtop that doesn't need major work? That would be sold quick where I am.

Connie

Reaction score
One way to know is look around the outside of the car first. I know it sounds strange, but a car that's taken care of on the outside will most likely have been taken care of on the inside. I would also get down on the ground and check for Oil and Coolant leaks, just before you begin inspecting the Engine and Tranny. The Coolant Tank should have a light, not a Dark color when you look at it. Pull the Dipsticks on the Oil and Trans. Look and see if the Oil Stick is Darkish, and a Burnt smell on the Trans Stick too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01