Engine swap to an 04 motor. Help anybody?

98BLKSVT

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anybody on here has ever done a swap on a 96-98 Cobra to a 04 Cobra motor? I'm looking in doing a swap in the next couple of weeks and I'm hoping somebody can help me out and tell me what kind of problems to look for if theirs any at all. Thanks

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
FatCat has an 03/04 Cobra engine in his car. But I think he bought it that way.

waltnono

Reaction score
Its a big project. Not only would you need to swap the engine and computer harness you need to swap the dash and depending on what ur mustang you alaready have you need to changed ur fuel system to a returnless style. Check out http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f30/
you'll find a lot of people who done the swap

Magic

Reaction score
waltnono said:
Its a big project. Not only would you need to swap the engine and computer harness you need to swap the dash and depending on what ur mustang you alaready have you need to changed ur fuel system to a returnless style. Check out http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f30/
you'll find a lot of people who done the swap
he really doesnt have to go thru all that trouble with the swap....

he can use his stock computer and harness and ignition...
but I would suggest an upgrade to the fuel system.....then get a dyno tune...

R

rickzcobra

There is so many options you can do. There is a fox body with a terminator motor using a 97 gt wiring harnesses in one of the newer mustang magazines. Dont know how they did it, but that will tell you anything can be done.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
by the time you go through the trouble and hassle of putting the 03-04 cobra motor in your car, you could have far more easily just built yours. most serious terminator guys are looking for our teskid block, as it can handle a lot more power and it's a lot lighter. all you need is a set of rods and pistons, keep your crank, and you're set. there aren't really that big of gains on our cars from cams/heads, so just throw the stock stuff back on in a budget build and add the poweradder of your choice.

FHATTCATT

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
FatCat has an 03/04 Cobra engine in his car. But I think he bought it that way.

Yep, I was the fortunate recipient of someone else's hard earned work.

Here is a writeup giving the basics-

http://groups.msn.com/0397CobraConversion/03eatonon99headson97block.msnw

97Terminatorengineinstall.jpg

Cobraenginephoto.jpg

Or you could save yourself lots of time and aggravation... and just buy my car! And the engine in this car is far better built than a stock Terminator engine- it has a '97 block with all the best of everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online