engine tick

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
So my dad has been having this tick in his 4V for quite some time and it seems to be coming from the passenger side. There's no loss in power what so ever. You can only really hear it at idle and increases with RPM and doesnt seem to change whether the engine is hot or cold. We are about to invest money in a timing kit( chains, cam gears, guides, tensioners, and lash adjusters) can anyone give me a good idea about what this mystery tick could be? Local speed shop said that it was a stretched rod but i feel thats highly improbable considering the car only has about 65,XXX miles on it. What do you guys think it could be? I can upload a video later on if the post seems to catch an interest. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Warn out tensioners but from what ur saying sounds like mid pipes leaking at collectors of the manifolds the gasket prolly blew out on the passenger side

red95r

Reaction score
If the ticking goes away at a certain RPM or when you let off the gas, its that damn flange gasket on the passenger mani to mid pipe.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
The LH tensioner rattles on my car. I believe the early 4v's had issues with these. Possibly may be the cause of your tick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online

No members online now.