Exhaust wraps

cornflakes

Reaction score
I have one of those metal flaps on the inside of the exhaust tip that is closed when
engine is off or idle and opens when revs.

It's been rattling and making that annoying tin can sound effect. I was wondering if
wrapping exhaust wraps around that pipe would help reduce or dampen the metal rattling
noise?

The last option of course is to simply cut off the exhaust and remove the flap, and weld
it back on without the flap.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
if it's rattleing on the inside then the wrap isn't going to help. Maybe dampin the sound some but very little if any.

Can you get a pic of it?

OP
OP
C

cornflakes

Reaction score
if it's rattleing on the inside then the wrap isn't going to help. Maybe dampin the sound some but very little if any.

Can you get a pic of it?

I'll see what I can do...but I will probably go into a tuning shop to see what can be done about it

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe your exhaust is rubbing/rattling somewhere?

OP
OP
C

cornflakes

Reaction score
Here are some pics and a short clip....warning the sound might be loud cuz the camera was right up to the exhaust.
Also, upon checking it further, it doesn't seem like the rattle is coming from inside the exhaust tip but somewhere on the outer part.
The actual metal flap inside the exhaust tip wasn't vibrating or rattling that I could see. Plus, when i reach my hand and touch the top
part of the exhaust tip, the sound stops, but as soon as I let it go it starts to rattle again. I was thinking what about using hose clamps to just tighten whatever it is that is rattling?

bgpv6c.jpg

2cqxlci.jpg

20uzqqa.jpg

View My Video

OP
OP
C

cornflakes

Reaction score
actually if you see in the video clip, I do believe the sound got louder when i went over to the right side right? It wasn't as loud on the left side. So maybe the part that is rattling is somewhere on the outside on the right side of the exhaust tip.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
is that thing automatically driven by the exhaust gases, or do you have to manually use a switch/lever?

kb1982

Reaction score
Is this on a Mustang? Reminds me of exhaust control valves that are used on motorcycles. On motorcycles, they are servo controlled and open with engine rpm. This helps to build low end hp and torque by adjusting backpressure at low speeds. If this is what that is, I would remove the butterfys but leave the servos in place so they think the are doing what they are supposed to do and no codes come on. On bikes, i remove the cables completely from the servo motor and also the flies. It loses some power in the lower end, but in the higher rpm ranges, it makes a little more.

OP
OP
C

cornflakes

Reaction score
Hey, I'm not sure if this is controlled by a servo that opens with engine rpm. I think it is based on the fact the flap/valve seems to have a wire connected to it. But I decided to try and apply a simple hose clamp and to my satisfaction, the tin can rattling noise went away. Took on the highway at 120 km/h or so and still no problems. It seems this hose clamp did the trick: here are the pics:

hv5seq.jpg

ru2ydi.jpg

I think the metal flap/valve stays open all the time now as putting the hose clamp tight seems to have put pressure on the metal pin that makes the flap swing open and close. It doesn't seem to have any negative effects by leaving it open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online