First time at the track (Update 10/6/07)

Reaction score
Went to the track tonight. Basically my first time ever. Each run got better...... I LEARNED A LOT!!!!!

Just a little misc. info:
The temperature when I got there was in the 90's and even when I left after the sun was starting to set it was still 80's. I don't know if temp. really matters all that much, but I know some of you guys mention it when discussing track times.

On arrival, there was a slight sprinkle of rain which eventually led to a delay in the track proceedings. After a bit, the sun came out, the dryers went up and down the track a few times and we were under way. Obviously, the humidity was very high.

Right now I'm running on 245/45/16 Fuzion ZRI street tires. They're cheapo and DON'T hook well at all. They came with the car. I also didn't realize that my tire pressure was at 45lbs until after the 2nd run. I just never bothered to check the tire pressure before, never had a reason.

1st run:

60ft: 2.64
1/4: 16.05
MPH: 93.76

:hammer: Yeah, I know.... it sucks REAL bad. Like I said, I was a first timer. I roasted the tires off the line, spun clear through second and even into third. The ass end of the car was all over the track. I had to let off the gas to get a hold of it. I didn't realize until my 3rd run (after talking to a fellow Mustang owner) that cars with street tires shouldn't drive through the water. So I had no traction whatsoever, like I said the car was spinning into third gear. The track was also just a tad bit wet because this run was before the delay.

2nd run:

60ft: 2.29
1/4: 14.60
MPH: 95.72

Obviously a big improvement over the first attempt. Still spinning through first, but got a little better traction in second.

3rd run:

60ft: 2.23
1/4: 14.39
MPH: 96.39

Getting better. Didn't drive through the water and also reduced tire pressure to 30lbs. Babied it out of the hole, basically got traction the whole way.

4th run:

60ft: 2.25
1/4: 14.33
MPH: 96.97

Same as before, with decent traction. Though I did powershift from 3rd to 4th.....

Overall, I learned a lot about driving down the 1/4 mile track and had a BLAST! Can't wait to go again with better tires (thinking Nitto's or BF Goodrich KDW's)!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Re: First time at the track

congrats on your first time, its fun isint it :dancing6: :dancing6: :dancing6: the more you go the better you will get. Get you some sticky tires and get back to the strip. Your times are pretty decent, and with some Dr's you can knock a few more tenths off your et.

LI98GT

Reaction score

Good job! You certainly improved with your times going in the right direction and ended up with a solid time. I went myself for the first time every this spring and can't wait to go again. I made a lot of first timer mistakes also i.e. left windows open, missed a shift (no power shifting for me), left the tire pressure at stock 32lbs. My goal is to get in the 13s now and we just have to take what we learn and use it next time out. Going to also look to get some Nitto DRs to throw on my original stock 17s.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score

Thanks guys!

Im definitely looking into some new tires soon, one of my rear tires has a nail stuck in it anyway.

I raced an 88 5.0 5 spd. in my 3rd run. He had full exhaust and 4.10s and crossed the line at 14.26. After we raced we were talking and he said he was looking in the rear view mirror toward the end of the track for me cuz he knew npi Mustangs dont run well. He said he was VERY surprised NOT to see me in his rear view mirror but rather in his blind spot. Made me feel kind of good since Im a newbie to the track. After he found out I was on street tires (he was on drag radials) he was actually a little upset with his cars performance.... haha

(random question: why cant I use apostrophes, slashes or the arrow keys? I mustve hit a button or changed a setting)

OP
OP
S
Reaction score

quickstang_1994 said:
Just practice on street tires you'll get use to it.

Well, once the blower gets installed and I start putting down bigger numbers I figure some nicer tires will be warranted. What tires are you running with your set up Quickstang?

BTW, where do you guys think I should be shifting? I winded it out to redline on all shifts today.... should it be earlier?

LI98GT

Reaction score

As far as shift points go, you really have to do some experimenting. I did my best times when I shifted about 5500rpm 2nd-4th gears, so you may want to try dropping it a bit to see where your times go. We have pretty similiar mods btw, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on what you learn.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score

LI98GT said:
As far as shift points go, you really have to do some experimenting. I did my best times when I shifted about 5500rpm 2nd-4th gears, so you may want to try dropping it a bit to see where your times go. We have pretty similiar mods btw, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on what you learn.

Note taken. I'll try shifting a little earlier. I'm tentatively scheduled to go to the track again this coming Sunday (8/19) so we'll see how it goes. Also, I recently purchased some new wheels and tires and am anxious to see if it makes a difference.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score

no offense but.. fuzion zri tires actually hook great....better than any tire Ive ever had...

maybe you need to work on your driving and not blame the tires..

What were you launching at?

OP
OP
S
Reaction score

justinschmidt1 said:
no offense but.. fuzion zri tires actually hook great....better than any tire Ive ever had...

maybe you need to work on your driving and not blame the tires..

What were you launching at?

I was launching at 5K rpms. Why? Does that matter?

No, I'm kidding. I dunno really, right around 2000'ish I suppose. My driving IS bad (as stated, it was my first time), but my tires were also in horrible condition, basically no tread and bald (and wet for the first couple runs).

I'm sure my somewhat slow 60ft time was a result of 1. lack of skill behind the wheel 2. bad weather and 3. bad tires..... Probably in that order too.

My car shouldn't have been roasting the tires clear into 3rd gear, it just doesn't have that much power so there was definitely some traction issues. Probably that damn water I drove through, doh.

LI98GT

Reaction score

sanchezcruz_20 said:
Note taken. I'll try shifting a little earlier. I'm tentatively scheduled to go to the track again this coming Sunday (8/19) so we'll see how it goes. Also, I recently purchased some new wheels and tires and am anxious to see if it makes a difference.

Told you I'd be watching. Any updates? Hope you applied some of your learnings and improved those times. I'm scheduled for mid October for some track time. Since my last time out, I'll have the intake plenum and (hopefully) Nitto DRs for better 60' times. Shooting to get into 13s, but not sure it that will be enough.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score

New wheels and tires are on... Went from a 16" to a 17" wheel and also got some Nitto 555's. I may be going to the track at the end of next week, I'll let you know how it goes.

On a random note, my supercharger will also be arriving on Monday via UPS.... so there may be some BIG changes soon. :noes:

quickstang_1994

Reaction score

sanchezcruz_20 said:
New wheels and tires are on... Went from a 16" to a 17" wheel and also got some Nitto 555's. I may be going to the track at the end of next week, I'll let you know how it goes.

On a random note, my supercharger will also be arriving on Monday via UPS.... so there may be some BIG changes soon. :noes:
finally, I ve been wait to hear something

OP
OP
S
Reaction score

Went to the track again (second time) last night. Got a new personal best! I only ran twice, here are the results:

First pass

60' ... 2.275
1/8 ... 9.391
MPH ... 77.23
1/4 ... 14.452
MPH ... 97.49

Second pass

60' ... 2.16
1/8 ... 9.209
MPH ... 77.84
1/4 ... 14.221
MPH ... 98.34

The new nittos REALLY hooked up well on that last run, hence the better 60'. In fact, they hooked so well that my car even bogged down a little coming out so next time I'm gonna try to be a little more aggressive on launching.

LI98GT

Reaction score

sanchezcruz_20 said:
Went to the track again (second time) last night. Got a new personal best! I only ran twice, here are the results:

First pass

60' ... 2.275
1/8 ... 9.391
MPH ... 77.23
1/4 ... 14.452
MPH ... 97.49

Second pass

60' ... 2.16
1/8 ... 9.209
MPH ... 77.84
1/4 ... 14.221
MPH ... 98.34

The new nittos REALLY hooked up well on that last run, hence the better 60'. In fact, they hooked so well that my car even bogged down a little coming out so next time I'm gonna try to be a little more aggressive on launching.

Congrats on the new times! What rpm did you launch at and what were your shift points on that last run?

OP
OP
S
Reaction score

LI98GT said:
Congrats on the new times! What rpm did you launch at and what were your shift points on that last run?

I usually launch by slipping the clutch around 2000 rpms. I shift right around 5700 rpms and powershift the whole way (only at the track of course).

Next time I go, I'm gonna try to launch a little harder coming out of the hole. The Nitto's are MUCH stickier than my old Fuzion's, of course they are also much wider.

The car felt really good on that last run, but I think she can do better. I wanted to get back in line but it was getting late. Perhaps this Friday I'll give it another go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online