First time with DRs, excited/nervous/questions

Ronin

Reaction score
So until now, the 20+ trips I've made to the drag strip, I've done the typical street tire "quick burnout to clean the crap off the tires", after driving AROUND the water box. So better to look like a fool here than to do something entirely stupid where the consequences are real.

From what I've read, it's best to ask the track techs whether they want you to drive through the box, or around it and back up into it. Continuing from what I've read, wheel spin in first is not enough to heat the tires properly (though now I'm wondering if that only applies to slicks), so it's best to get into 2nd as quickly as possible, or just start in 2nd. Now for reference, we're dealing with about 285 WHP on 275 wide DRs. Testing this on the road is dumb, illegal, and not a proper test, but I don't know if I'm making enough power to start my burnout in 2nd. And if the best way to do this is to rev up, pop off the clutch and onto the brake with the left foot, how does one shift up during the burnout? Just really quickly? Am I over-analyzing this? Help a noob before he hurts himself (or his car).

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
So until now, the 20+ trips I've made to the drag strip, I've done the typical street tire "quick burnout to clean the crap off the tires", after driving AROUND the water box. So better to look like a fool here than to do something entirely stupid where the consequences are real.

From what I've read, it's best to ask the track techs whether they want you to drive through the box, or around it and back up into it. Continuing from what I've read, wheel spin in first is not enough to heat the tires properly (though now I'm wondering if that only applies to slicks), so it's best to get into 2nd as quickly as possible, or just start in 2nd. Now for reference, we're dealing with about 285 WHP on 275 wide DRs. Testing this on the road is dumb, illegal, and not a proper test, but I don't know if I'm making enough power to start my burnout in 2nd. And if the best way to do this is to rev up, pop off the clutch and onto the brake with the left foot, how does one shift up during the burnout? Just really quickly? Am I over-analyzing this? Help a noob before he hurts himself (or his car).

Lol, I think your over analyzing it.

A first gear burnout should be just fine...your in a 285 rwhp car, not a 1285 rwhp car haha.

you will need to play with it a bit...drop the PSI down to like 15 psi, quick 5 second burnout. You should be able to start the burnout in second gear with the rear tires in the water and roll forward a bit to get them nice and hit.

What kind of DRS?

I wouldnt recommend dumping the clutch if you wanna keep your rear end together either. DRS dont absorb the shock load like a slick would.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
X2 I always did my burnouts in 2nd in my low hp car even on street tires on the street just had 3.73's but yea I'd start at 18-19psi on the drag radials first hit then go down... I run my et street bias tires between 16-13psi depending on tempature at the track

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

Reaction score
I haven't bought the DRs yet, but likely going to be BFG. So it sounds like staying in first should be fine, otherwise, try starting in 2nd, and STAY in 2nd. Clutch in, into gear, rev up (what, 4, 5k?), clutch out immediately onto brake, let off the brake momentarily to get out of the water, then let em burn for a few seconds. That about right?

cobra head

Reaction score
you dont even have to rev it up that high high enough to pop the clutch and start turning the wheels and yes put it in 2nd and keep it in 2nd and when u feel like the car is starting to grab let off the brake and roll up to the lights and stage up and then rev i up to ab 3000 to 3500depending how good the track is preped and when the last yellow light comes on come out the hold hard but not dumping the clutch

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea start in second nice 15 second burnout I lay in into it coming out the burnout box then get on the brakes to make sure my tires are clean and dry