Fluctuating Temp

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Was driving around a couple days ago and heard a loud bang a couple hours before this happened. (Could be unrelated, just mentioning)

I parked my 98 V6 in an empty parking ramp and idled it for a bit while I ate and listened to music. Start leaving and the temp almost hits the red before I'm even on the road, so I pull off and turn it off. Oil looked fine, normal amount of coolant, all that stuff.

I decided to try again, so I get on the road and it starts shooting into the red fairly quickly, but just before it hits the red, it starts going back down as I get up to speed. It stays normal as I'm driving along. Come to a stop and accelerate again, stays normal. I had an hour drive home after this, where it was fine the entire time, even when I was flooring it.

I've been able to replicate the temp gauge rising to operating temp way faster than it should, but I haven't taken it out again since cause I got busy. Already ordered a thermostat cause that's the cheapest fix, but any thoughts? I've heard possibly the fan as well but haven't had the time to check that either.

I'll read the replies and update everyone once I do the thermostat.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’d start with thermostat and make sure to get all air purged from the system. Air can cause a similar issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like your fan is dead. Check all the fuses under the hood and hope its not the ccrm going out

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure to unplug the harness at the fan and check it closely. They have a habit of melting at the connector and causing problems.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
sounds like your fan is dead. Check all the fuses under the hood and hope its not the ccrm going out

Just did a check today and the fan did not turn on after it got to operating temp. I'm vaguely familiar with that was CCRM does, and my fuel pump and AC clutch (although the AC itself does not blow cold air, probably separate issue) both seem to operate fine, considering the car actually runs and the compressor engages and disengages. Cross fingers it's something else, or at least the fan itself

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
start simple and check all the fuses in the engine bay. Don't even bother with the manual it just takes more time and is not as good as either physically pulling and checking each one or dragging a V-meter down the back side of it. IF you use a meter have the key on.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you check the connector on the fan????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online