For the love of pete people...

Skargon

Reaction score
So, I have this 95 5.0..

I was told the Crank seal was bad, and causing it to leak, No big deal right?

Took it to a mechanic, said 150$ to do it, I was happy with it.

He called me earlier to tell me..
Its not the Crank seal, its the timing cover.. The Harmonic Balancer slipped back and beat the shit out of the timing cover, or at least that's what the mechanic told me. 500$ for a new Balancer and Timing cover, Anyone got any feedback on this?

I Have not pulled the trigger on it yet, I am going to call around and see other shop's prices.

Anyone ever heard of this happening?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sounds like BS to me.
The only way the HB can move is if the bolt is loose and that 1 bolt is about 150 lbft torque. and then it's can only move toward the radiator not toward the timing chain cover.
$150 sounds steep too. It shouldn't take an experienced mech more than 1 hour to replace it.
If the HB completely came apart it might hit the cover but you would definately know if that had happened.

TanTop94

Reaction score
Ive replaced the HB on my car, not because it was loose but because the rubber in it started falling out which inturn it fails. It was one of the first bigger (ATM) things I had ever done to a car. But really its not hard at all, four bolts hold the pulley on then you just need to take the main bolt out and you need the HB puller/ installer. Dont really see how it hit against the timing cover. If you were driving it around and that was happening I can only imagine the noise and vibration you were getting.

RichV

Reaction score
Sounds pretty unlikely. I would go ask to see the issue, have him show you.

If the rubber piece actually let go, can the outer ring beat up the timing cover? Possibly, but I'd think you'd hear some crazy clanking noises from the front.

I know the HB can slip, and it can groove. Slipping may cause a vibration, grooving will be an oil leak. If you get a front main seal kit, they come with a metal sleeve that you put over the groove on a HB. But if your HB is beyond repair and the timing cover needs replaced because it's cracked, there's not a whole lot to but replace them. Also have them do the water pump if it's old. No better time to do it than now.

410sn95

Reaction score
...I am going to call around and see other shop's prices.

Your local to WA. Check out Brads Custom Auto in Lake City. I know its a bit of distance for you but Brad and his guys are all stand up fellows who KNOW Mustangs and will treat you right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online