Fox 8.8 in my sn95?

carbuff

Reaction score
So, I can get a 93 gt fox 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears for $200. I have a 98 v6 with the 2.73 7.5 rear. Ive read that the housings were the same width, but the axles were longer on the sn95. Will my 7.5 axles and my disk brake setup work with the fox 8.8? I know that if they were both 8.8 it would work but I dont know about the 7.5, 8.8 difference.This seems like a much cheaper solution than changing the gears in my 7.5. Anyone done this sort of thing?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You need to find some sn95 8.8 rear axles ... Then take ur brake brackets off ur diff and install them on the fox one. My car has a built fox rear end in it with sn95 length axles brake brackets with rear cobra junk.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
You need to find some sn95 8.8 rear axles ... Then take ur brake brackets off ur diff and install them on the fox one. My car has a built fox rear end in it with sn95 length axles brake brackets with rear cobra junk.

So youre saying that my brake stuff will work but the 7.5 axles will not. That makes sense. The seller says that he just upgraded to 31 spline axles. Is that compatible with sn95 stock axles?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You'd have to get some aftermarket axles then . What's the guy asking for the diff ? 31 spline is a nice upgrade I'm assuming it has a diff girdle as well ?

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Hes asking $200 with the upgrade and all the drums and stuff that I dont need. I assume that to upgrade the splines the whole tlock unit needed to be upgraded too? Sounds good and all but maybe I might end up spending more on new axles that then I did on the rear. Probably overkill for my stock v6 too? Would there be a market for the 31 spline fox axles so I could recoup some of my money? 373 gears are not stock gt gears, right? 3.55 was the norm? Sorry for all the questions. lol.l

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Does your car have ABS? If not id run it as is..

Yes, its got abs. The fox is 4 lug though, and the fox axles are shorter than sn95 so my wheels wont fit and would rub too, no?

Clean90GT

Reaction score
Sure there's a market , pm me lol. I may take the axels depending on price/shipping and there actually 31 spline. $200 is cheep for that set up. Be sure to check and make sure it's really 31 spline and not just someone who dosent know what there talking about.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a fox 8.8 rear end in my v6. Just need axles from a 8.8 sn95 like musturd said

RichV

Reaction score
Wait a minute ...

Are you guys saying the 7.5 axles do not fit a 8.8? That's the 1st time I've heard that. I have interchanged 8.8 and 7.5 everything other than the pumpkin/gears and never had any issues. To my knowledge the 8.8 housings are the same whether they are Fox or SN, the axles and brakes differ depending on year/model but everything is interchangeable.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd snag that Fox axle and put your 7.5 hardware on it.

*edit* the 31 spline will not work with your stock 28 spline. So you will need aftermarket axles, but I'd make sure it's upgraded. Because the housing needs to be 31 spline as well.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wait maybe rich is right?

I forget if I got new axles or reused the original. I think I would have gotten new ones.

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Wait a minute ...

Are you guys saying the 7.5 axles do not fit a 8.8? That's the 1st time I've heard that. I have interchanged 8.8 and 7.5 everything other than the pumpkin/gears and never had any issues. To my knowledge the 8.8 housings are the same whether they are Fox or SN, the axles and brakes differ depending on year/model but everything is interchangeable.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd snag that Fox axle and put your 7.5 hardware on it.

*edit* the 31 spline will not work with your stock 28 spline. So you will need aftermarket axles, but I'd make sure it's upgraded. Because the housing needs to be 31 spline as well.

When you say that the housing needs to be 31 spline too, what do you mean by that. I figured that the t-lock unit inside needed to be upgraded to 31 spline and the outer bearings needed to be changed for the fatter axles. Is there more to it than that? And unfortunately, it looks like the upgraded axles are 4 lug, from the picture. It would actually be easier for me if the axles were not 31 spline. Did ford ever make an 8.8 rear with 31 spline axles stock for the mustang that I could get axles from? Aside from cobra stuff that is rare. I dont want to have to spend $200+ for new axles. I was hoping to keep this low budget.

RichV

Reaction score
I meant the t-lok, sorry. Cobra 8.8 is no different than GT, except brake hardware.

If the Fox axles were upgraded, they *typically* have some sort of stamp/label on the ends indicating that.

example ...

dmar713.jpg

Explorer 8.8 were 31 spline from factory. However, I'm not sure the axle lengths will work with a Mustang. Maybe someone knows ...

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
So, this deal did not happen. The cost for new axles would probably break my budget and now I need 4 new tires for the wifes car. She hit a pothole and killed a tire. I guess I cant complain after 45k on the originals. It would probably be easier for me to find a rear from a wrecked sn95 gt. Will the rear from a new edge work? Whenever I see things listed for rears they list 94-98 separate from 99-04. Will the rears interchange?

FaykSaleen

Reaction score
99-04 will fit no problem only difference is it's 3/4" of an inch wider on each side so it's like having the safest set of spacers you could ever buy

chris91

Reaction score
Yeah but if you go with a 10.5" wheel they will stick out and I think that looks like shit. Plus your tires will throw rocks up and ding up your quarters over time. Just find you a 94-98 rear and be done. The 99-04 Rears cost more anyway as the Terminator guys like to have em.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Alot or terminator guys use the 94-98 rear ends around here .

OP
OP
carbuff

carbuff

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. I had read something about the lca bolts were bigger on the new edge rears also. So I would need to drill the lca bolt holes bigger on my 98 or change the bushings to 98 bushings in the new edge rear?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell