Front End Rattle

smitdavi

Reaction score
I'm going crazy here. This car basically has a brand new suspension all the way around. Before this I replaced, the control arms, tie rods, H&R SS lowering springs, ball joints, the whole nine yards. I hit a pot hole last summer, and thankfully avoided catastrophe, or at least I thought. At this point it would have been cheaper to buy a new rim and tire. After said pot hole incident I had a distinct rattle coming from the passenger side wheel well. Got it up on stands and nothing obvious jumped out, nothing visibly loose or hanging, lug nuts were on tight, etc.... Took it to a buddies and put it on his lift and still nothing. All the bolts were tight. Sort of got a rattle when we hit the struts, so I went ahead and bought some Koni oranges and some caster camber plates hoping that would do it.....NADA. This is really driving me nuts because I can't figure out where this is coming from. I don't know what else I can replace at this point. It sounds like the lugs aren't tight and the wheel is moving back and forth on the studs is about the best way I can describe the sound. Any thoughts?!?

Johnmark23

Reaction score
Did you pull the wheel off and inspect the hub and bearings? I'm not sure on the 95 if they are a sealed unit or if you can pack and replace the bearings. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smitdavi

smitdavi

Reaction score
That was the next thing on my list.

Did you pull the wheel off and inspect the hub and bearings? I'm not sure on the 95 if they are a sealed unit or if you can pack and replace the bearings. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g36 monkeys wifey

Reaction score

They are a sealed unit. You can however pack the front race with grease (where the bolt goes onto the hub) which may or may not be of assistance. Have you greased up the ball joints??

Also, if the car is on the ground and you push on the fenders, do you get the same noise?

Of course do the 6 and 12 o clock ball joint check too, just to be sure.

OP
OP
smitdavi

smitdavi

Reaction score
They are a sealed unit. You can however pack the front race with grease (where the bolt goes onto the hub) which may or may not be of assistance. Have you greased up the ball joints??

Also, if the car is on the ground and you push on the fenders, do you get the same noise?

Of course do the 6 and 12 o clock ball joint check too, just to be sure.

I get a little noise when pushing on the fender, but I don't think it's what I'm hearing in the car. I'm going to be an unhappy camper if it's the ball joint consider they have less than 500 miles on them.

OP
OP
smitdavi

smitdavi

Reaction score
So I finally got a chance to pull the car out of storage to tinker a little. Still can't trace this noise. It's not the ball joints. They still look fresh as a daisy and passed all the ball joint tests I could find. This is driving me freaking crazy. Tried wiggling the wheel up on the stands and no noise or play whatsoever. Any other thoughts?

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
since you can create some noise with the car not moving, check the not so obvious, like stuff under the hood on that side, the fender, the hood hinge and bolts, anything that could have gotten jarred, a/c lines, cold air kit (if equipped), etc. I had one one time that wound up being the hood hinge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online