Fuel Filter Replacement

Steeda98GT

Reaction score
has anybody done this already on their own? If so was it hard or easy and what precautions do i have to take? thanks

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
not too sure of how much diff. it is between the gt and cobra, but it is very easy on my car bro. there is a little valve on the pass side fuel rail that you can release the fuel press at. once this is done, you just dissconect the fuel lines going into the fuel filter. just make sure you take note of which way fuel is going. if it was like mine then there are just two little clips that you pop off and then you can pull the fuel lines off. put the new one in place and put the new clips on. turn the key on a couple times to prime the sys and done!

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
its so simple i did it in an advance auto parts parking lot in 10 minutes...there is a fuel pump shut of switch in the trunk, you unplug that then turn on the engine until it kills itself, crawl under the car and untighten the little thing that holds on the fuel filter(same thing as what holds together a CAI), remove the two white clips(i used a screwdriver), grab a couple rags or just dont be underneath the fuel filter, and pull off the lines and let the excess fuel in the lines come out onto the ground. yet again dont be directly under the fuel filter and start to pull it out of its holder (be careful, there is probably a good amount of fuel in the filter). then just reverse the steps to put the new one in and your good to go... :thumb:

if your lowered, you may not just be able to crawl under the car, i can because my car sits like a bronco.... :eek:utofcloset: i cant wait for the 8th when my springs come in. :banana:

Rantheman

Reaction score
I think in 98 they didn't use the plastic clips to hold the fuel lines on I think there is a different connector!!!

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
Rantheman said:
I think in 98 they didn't use the plastic clips to hold the fuel lines on I think there is a different connector!!!

actually im pretty sure you are right, you have to get the little plastic tool to remove the fuel connectors....a guy i know was trying to replace them on his 98 and couldnt because he didnt have tthe tool.

Rantheman

Reaction score
I was just trying to remember I was able to do it simple on my 96 but my friend 98 was different he took it to ford and had them replace it!!

LI98GT

Reaction score
Rantheman said:
I was just trying to remember I was able to do it simple on my 96 but my friend 98 was different he took it to ford and had them replace it!!

This is correct. You need those same type of fuel disconnect tools that are used in the engine bay to disconnect the fuel lines that go to the fuel rail. I just went to Sears hardware and got the fuel disconnect kit.

They look like this....

78_1.JPG

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
i got a metal one from autozone. it was like $5 but you definantly need it for a 98 GT

97vertstang

Reaction score
either way is eazy.if u got the fuel disconnect tool it just slides off.i have better luck with the plastic tabs, than the metal one.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
i just did mine a few nights ago.
make sure they come with the extra
clips before you go breaking them off
to get the fuel filter off.
something that helps is the haynes manual.
they go over everthing from the fuel filter to replacing heads
and everything inbetween. it helps a lot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online