oil filter (SOS-911,etc)

optionizerSS

Reaction score
What filter should my 1995 GT 5.0 take? Looked it up and said FL-1A. Went to Auto Zone and they were out of the Motorcraft so got the STP 8A. Came home and it has a Mighty M3600, much smaller diameter. Are they interchangeable? Can I use the STP-8A (FL-1A)? Leaving at 6:00AM for a cruise so need to get this done ASAP
Thanks

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone’s got their opinions on brands, but I’m an O’Reilly guy myself so

FL1A is Motorcraft
51515 is the WIX number, Microguard is the same but ass MGL to the front.
Daily driver, conventional oil, maybe going a little longer between oil changes, I recommend the WIX. Religiously changing ever 3-4k like a guy with too much free time and conventional, I say Microguard. FL1A somewhere between the two.
Going longer between changes and using synthetics, I recommend the Microguard extended life, MSL part numbers, wanting to really stretch to the 10k+, Wix Extended life. This goes for any car really, but some are a lot happier with OE brands. The only thing I generally don’t recommend our stuff for is German, specifically Mercedes. They collapse our brands quickly for some reason but a Mann & Hummel is great for them. Mann & Hummel bought out WIX a couple years ago so I’m waiting for those German filters to start trickling in.

I keep a case of the ProTec filters, same base number, since all of my old Fords take that filter. They’re in between the Microguard and WIX and only sold by the case. I change my oil pretty “frequently” just because they don’t get driven much, so no need for a much better element when the oil is getting swapped every 2-3k miles usually.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
I won a 5qt bottle of Valvoline semi synthetic 5w-30 at a cruise so grabbed that filter today and changed it. I had 3800 miles on it and didn't want to go any further. Almost winter here but we are going on a cruise next week about 150 miles round trip so wanted to change it before then. Will likely change it again in the spring so will only put about 300 or so miles on this oil then go back to the recommended 10-W30 or whatever it is and will go full synthetic

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If not in stock, you can order the FL1-A from VatoZone, or on Amazon.

Wix, if memory serves, makes the NAPA gold series oil filters. I’ve used them in my Ram 5.7L without a glitch.

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
The FL1-A is, IMO, the preferred choice. The FL-300 (IIRC) is the shorter filter used on the SSP cars that came with an oil cooler. They may have come on the 94-95 Cobras as well since they also came with an oil cooler but not 100% sure on that one. Those also work well if space is a consideration. Purolator makes a good filter just not sure of the cross # for those (something 300001 or something like that). Not a fan AT ALL of Fram, STP, or house brand filters. I've heard NAPA Gold are good filters but I have never used them so I cannot say from experience if that is so or not.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Napa Gold is identical filter to standard box WIX, part number is even the same - just drops the first number.

So 51515 in Wix is a 1515 in Napa Gold. Exact same part in the box.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
i wouldn't put Fram on my lawn mower...lol. Ended up with an STP but plan to change the oil first thing next spring anyway

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
FL-1A = PH8A = literally 100 different part numbers that are all the same thing. Different manufacturers use different part numbers because, reasons. You could also use a HP-1. If I could do one nice thing for you it would be to tell you to steer far clear of Fram. Wix/Motorcraft/Wagner are all better options. I've had round about a dozen Fram's pop the can right off the lid along with a few that died of other failure modes. I've never had a single of the other 4 brands pop or fail in any way. In a former life I changed oil for a living doing on average ~100 cars a day 6 days a week for a few years so the advice is based on large numbers of cars of all kinds and a huge number of model and brand of filter.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
w00t. Nothing says, "oil on the track" quite like a Fram filter on a drag car... well, except maybe a donk rolling up to the line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online