Fuel system issue??? 96 Cobra

ThA SkInNy

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a 1996 100% factory Cobra with just under 200k on the clock. I got the car for a pretty decent price I think...$1800....the car didn't smoke or look to be burning any oil when I drove it all though the manure nance levels on this car weren't all that great from looks of the poor filthy Cobra.. It's a 3 owner car but they were all members of the same family..lol

I'm having some what seems to be fuel issues. I'm not throwing any codes that I know and I stilled scanned with a tuner. At light throttle my car is fine and will run all the way through the rpm's. if I give it sudden blips it will want to cut out. This only happens under load. It starts and idles just fine from what I can see and hear and will rev nice am normal in neutral.

The check engine light was flashing when driving so obviously throwing some other codes. For now I have cleaned up all of the codes from not seeing an engine light yet but I know it can take a few heat cycles for some thi fa to show up as a cel sometimes.

I have replaced some things because they were necessary and some things just because the car has some miles on it and I was given much info on the service of the car.

MSD wires
Motor craft plug
Coils from a running car
Fuel filter
New 24lb injectors
tps
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned IAC(mine has a vucuum line nipple facing the front of the car?)
Mil eliminators
Basani O/r X
SLP Lm1's

I'm thinking I'm needing to change the fuel pump but I keep hearing about low speed relays for the fuel pump and to check those. A code was picked up by an SCT Tuner for 2 speed pump/ low speed when I first got the car. I know there is one in the CCRM and there is another also somewhere around the dash or the ecu/pcm area.Lol so I also went to the parts store and picked up and new fuel pump relay...only problem is I can't find where it goes. Haha

I haven't done a compression test yet because I honestly think the motor is in good shape. The car runs great in the middle rpm range but is really trash outside if that if giving it anymore than part throttle haha. It idles great and I don't here anything I haven't heard coming from it comparing other 4vs I've heard.

If you guys might have any suggestions as to where that fuel relay is please let me know along with any other suggestions you may have for me.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
ThA SkInNy

ThA SkInNy

Reaction score
Please excuse all of the auto correct mistakes!!!! Hahah

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail. See what idle FP is. Then find a way to put it under a load and have the gauge visible. Get it to do whatever it does and see if it's a lack of fuel pressure. Keeps you from having to replace stuff you don't need to.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with steven. since you said you recently replaced the filter, check the pressure.

OP
OP
ThA SkInNy

ThA SkInNy

Reaction score
Ok great ill have to give that a try. I'm replacing a lot if these things for piece of mind also. This car is more it less a project car but ill be driving it quite a bit.

I just recently sold my 95 opal frost with red/black interior. I had it for a little over a year. It more or less went through the same irises this car will go through.