Fusible Link Question

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I’m trying to get some wiring finished up on my car. I’m in the process of extending a few harnesses to keep everything hidden. The major holdup right now is the power wire from the alternator. The stock cable has a small fusible link on the end where it connects to the fuse box. I’m replacing the stock cable with 4awg. From what I’ve read about fusible links, they need to be 4 sizes smaller than the wire they are protecting. So am I correct in assuming that an 8awg wire will be large enough to use as a fusible link on this application? Is there a specific type of wire that should be used for fusible links? Is something such as THHN stranded appropriate? Or do I need to use something with a finer strand like a normal battery cable? @ttocs i figure if anyone on here knows it would be you, any help is appreciated.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I never dug into the fusable link stuff myself. When i moved the battery I just stuck a fuse it in the back by the battery.

Reaction score
I don’t know where you’re getting te idea that a fuseable link should be sized with the wire and not the load. For starters, 4awg wire is complete overkill for any alternator and if you try to size the link to that wire, you’re gonna fry the alternator before the link ever blows.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy