Fusible links and alternator problems

OEFVETSN95LOVER

Reaction score
ladies and gentlemen
I have a problem
my alternator will not recharge my battery
so, I replaced my alternater Thursday night
I worked for a day, but I think I blew a fusible link
Where are the fusible link or links located in a 96 Cobra?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
QRF lol. Anyway, the fusible link is just in the wire from the alternator to the fuse block. It's the point where the big wire splits into two smaller wires. Those are the "fusible links".

OP
OP
O

OEFVETSN95LOVER

Reaction score
could I have destroyed mine when I changed the alternator?
I positive terminal on the alternator has power and so does the fuse.
my regulator plug is connected but throws the Charging light on the dash. My voltage gauge is between 8-10 volts.
Please advise

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the wire at the alt has power then you did not blow the links. Like he said all they are is two smaller pieces of wire that burn up when it draws too much current. It acts like a fuse but does not blow as easy in high current demands like a starter/alt wire.

Have you tested the battery? Take it out of the car if you have not and drop it off at autozone for a few hours and they will test it. IF you do this I say leave it for a few hours because you want them to test it both right after its charged and a few hours later. I have seen batteries come off of the charger and test as fine but if you leave them hooked up to nothing they still drop voltage and then test bad. It would also be a good time to check your grounds.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your sure it is not the battery then check the grounds and all the fuses, but it has happened that a bad/new product gets out.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Also, inspect the electrical connector at the alternator. There are 3 wires on the plug, yellow, green, and white. The white wire in the center should go over to the stator. One wire (I think yellow) will have 12v constant and the other wire (green) should get 12v when the key comes on. Check that out.

Also, have you checked the post on the alternator with a multimeter and verified what the output was with the car running?

OP
OP
O

OEFVETSN95LOVER

Reaction score
Also, inspect the electrical connector at the alternator. There are 3 wires on the plug, yellow, green, and white. The white wire in the center should go over to the stator. One wire (I think yellow) will have 12v constant and the other wire (green) should get 12v when the key comes on. Check that out.

Also, have you checked the post on the alternator with a multimeter and verified what the output was with the car running?

lwarrior1016
Roger; Acknowledge all.
That may be my issue, I dont seem to have a place to put a Stator Wire

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get tapatalk on your phone and you can post pics straight from your device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
or take the pic, load it to flickr and then you can get the direct link to cut/paste with. Click the little picture frame symbol just above the response area and then paste the link in there.

If all that is too much you can email me the pic. If you do not have the stator connected then that is why its not charging. If there is not a separate place to plug the single wire connector into then you have the wrong alt.

OP
OP
O

OEFVETSN95LOVER

Reaction score
Received
I sent you 2 pics of the Car
Unfortunatly, Im in the field for the next 3 weeks so it will have to wait until October 15th
Love can be painful sometimes
Upon my return, I will take it to my local stealership. this is over my head

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online