gas mileage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by phil_the_thrill, Oct 11, 2006.

1. phil_the_thrill

phil_the_thrill Active Member

i was thinking about getting new gears but gas mileage is an issue for me. driving back and forth from college every once in a while is about a 200 mile trip. i was just wondering what kind of gas mileage you guys get with 4.10s. also, list major mods such as s/c.

2. Downshift

Downshift Well-Known Member

Looks like you have a 4.6 but ill reply anyway. Now I am having some weird fuel issues running kinda rich lower rpms and not enough up top. Anyway mods are in my Sig I have 3.90s and last time i checked about 2 weeks ago I was getting about 18mpg. If you drive on the freeway a lot and don't like to be in higher rpms then I would recommend gettings 3.73s. Keeping up with traffic here and going a bit faster at tI'mes im around 3000-3400 rpms in 5th gear. I have 3.73s sitting right next to me getting ready to put them in cause I cant stand it. Personal choice of course but hey if you decide to get 3.90s I have some haha goodluck man. Oh 200mile trip would be about a full tank for me.

3. VertTireSmoke

VertTireSmoke Active Member

I'm running 3.73's on mine. Mods are in my sig. Around town i get around 18-19mpg. On my trip to Myrtle Beach which was mostly interstate i got around 25mpg. Im sure the 4.10's wouldn't be much worse than that. Trust me tho once u get the gears u'll love them and won't mind the slight difference u'll see in mpg.

4. SVTGizzi

SVTGizzi Member

I'm running 3.73's on mine. Mods are in my sig. Around town i get around 18-19mpg. On my trip to Myrtle Beach which was mostly interstate i got around 25mpg. Im sure the 4.10's wouldn't be much worse than that. Trust me tho once u get the gears u'll love them and won't mind the slight difference u'll see in mpg.
    [/quote]

wow i get 18-19 city with my stock 3.08's. im hoping for 15-16 when i get my 3.73's in this spring

5. MeanGrn Gt

MeanGrn Gt Well-Known Member

It seems like gears dont hurt the mileage that much. Around town it is not much of a difference, on highway you loose a little but not as much as you may think. 3.73's would be a good choice but 4.10's wont get much worse mileage.

6. phil_the_thrill

phil_the_thrill Active Member

yeah i'm having a hard time deciding. at one minute i don't care about the gas mileage, just want the extra kick in the pants. then the next minute i look at my credit card bill and see that im spendin too much on gas already. maybe i will go with something more modest such as 3.73s since that'll be a pretty big jump from 3.27s as it is. i dunno....

7. G_94_T

G_94_T Member

IHMO for daily driven cars i wouldnt go any lower than 3.73's.....i have 3.55 in mine and like it pretty good...i also get 22mpg combined city and highway