GOING FROM MY 97 COUGAR to A 94 GT.............lots of pics..

FrankenStang

Reaction score
well, once the guy fixes the front trans leak i will be trading my heavily modded 97 xr7 for a 1994 mustang GT, stock yellow and has been repainted a brighter yellow..It is a 5.0 auto with cobra hood and front bumper, headers, msd cap and coil...Not the best looking car as taillights are well faded, hood has some front cracks in it, needs a side vent put in(he has it), BUTTTT the odmeter reads 750,000 MILES!!! how can that be???? also he said you cant pull codes becuase of the odb1 port and ob2 inside port dont work??? how bad is that?? it also has shitty v6 15in wheels on it, interior needs attention as someone began to ricer paint stuff yellow and its all flaked and the rear setas are black and yellow leather and fronts are cloth, has no air bags so needs a steering wheel cover and dash part put on better...he hit a big rock hense a few crack in the hood and the 15in rims, also rebuilt the front end after that...it runs well, decently quick for a almost stock 5.0.it kinda started a little slow but than ran well once started and the volt guage moved abit while running and he did mention the alternator may be going bad....i dont know much about 5.0's but know ALOT about 4.6's...ive been trying to find what are some beginng mods todo but cant find anything really helpfull..boost and rear gearing for now is out of the queston as my budget will be about 300 once my 4.6 parts are sold.. i think i remember reading soimething about a cob ra ecu swap and then you can run 24's with the cobra upper and lower mani,am i correct or am i getting something confused..lol sorry so long but feel free to chime in, i dont wanna bring home a junker as my 97 runs pretty damn good and looks nice...heres some pics of the banna stang..also my plans with the car would be..17in fronts and 18in wide rear cobra or cobra replica chrome rims,better exhaust, cobra topend swap, affordable heads once i do more reseach into what to get and run as well as a cam, i wanna fix up the body by smoothing everything out and mounting everything propperly and then sand it,prep it and send it off to macco or my buddies garage, and id also like todo somekind of interior swap...id like to to sound pretty mean and be much faster thana stock 5.0 but nothing crazy as id like it to be a dailydriver....and someday, SOMEDAY a supercharger kit...any input guys or tips on what to look for...the deal isnt set in stone yet,but will be in a week...
z3.jpg

z2.jpg

z1.jpg

and heres some of the cougar..short list of mods...ported typhoon manifold,superchips tuner,pi cams,exhaust,HAD full 125 dry setup but sold since getting this stang, msd stuff...75mm intake setup and a cobra mafs and other boltons..best run was mid 13's and cant remeber excat time but was on street tires that would not hook up...
car200261-1.jpg

Picture021.jpg

011111111111111111111111111111111003-1.jpg

0001.jpg

5.jpg

#BrownRoush

Reaction score
my input, run from that GT. Dont even consider it. New yellow paint? Then why does it have 2 black fender? The code reader doesn't work, possible fubard electrical work. Just no dude, no.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
you don't pull the codes for the 94/95gt from under the dash. you have to get them from under the hood, by the r/h shock tower. Sounds like a laundry list of repairs needed just to get it reliable. Unless you can get it for a super price, I'd pass. The Cougar is clean

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
it has the black fenders because the old ones were all chipped and starting to rust in the wheel wells,he did show me that..My cougar isnt as reliable as i would like although its never really broken down...just has a hard idle that i cant cure and throws 9 codes...lol but its still a runner..i understand that the mustnag isnt perfect and is going to need some work.I just dont want to get in over my head..And i really dont wanna ditch a good ride for a junker just because i want a "mustang"...

sn95jones

Reaction score
If there was rust in the wheel wells there's rust in other places as well.... Be smart and listen to everyone, run away. That's got bad news written all over it.
You sound like a kid and that Cougar was probably your first car and you want to get a Mustang and you don't care what it takes you just want one as long as it's called a Mustang and has a V8..... Trust me, it's been atleast wrecked and why the hell would you want a car with that many miles on the body?!?! I don't care if it has a new transmission and motor consider everything else like:
Ball joints, struts, shocks, steering rack, control arms, bushings. That car needs a one way stop to the local crusher.
Btw that's not a Cobra hood.

cantbuytime

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Cougar XR7 Anniversary, and have recently learned that its good condition still doesnt make it worth any money..

I dont like my car that much but I wouldnt trade it for a pile like that. I will prob only get a grand for my XR7.. Yours is worth more then mine... I doubt that Mustang is worth half of what your Car is worth..

We all could be wrong and the owner of the stang is just and idiot. Someone coulda easily rolled that odometer by hand, are u sure it even works. 750k actual driving miles is just too hard for me to believe.. Second, I would spend a day with it and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Thats if u are still considering it.

BUT BEWARE, if u find it has electrical issues then leave it alone..

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
word well spoken...my cars nice,built and cant even get 2500 for it...i just couldnt justify selling it for under 2500 consider i have more than in performance parts alone, not to mention all the other random stuff...i know you never get back what you put into them but cmon,cant even get 2500 for it??? lol ! im goin to look it over more once he fixes it fully and ille check into that odb1 issue...is it true theres a way to pull codes on this car w/o the obd1 port???? i guess ille have to get the vin and run that to check the aprox actually miles on the car its self, then run the motor numbers and see if they match the car...run my cougars motor numbers and a 98GT with 50K comes up,wrecked...hehe cougars heart now....any other stuff i should look for when looking at it??? i dont care if it was ever wrecked or how many miles on it so long as its solid and runs well...my cougar has 284,000 actually miles on the clock but new engine,rebuilt trans and so many other new stuff...and its not like it takes a wholelot to rebuild a front end or rear bushings and stuff....i figures if they are old it a good excuse to convince the wife it needs to be "fixed" hehehe but with performance parts!
i know with all i did to this cougar, if i put all this into a stang...man,id love that car...buttt i built with what i had now im with this...and its hard to get rid of as who wants a fast cougar??? plus i just traded a 255lph fuelpump for a gt40 upper and lower painted with high temp chrome paint...looks very nice...so worth more than the fuel pump and if i get this stang itle be my 1st upgrade for it..

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
and also, working on my car is never working....its always fun for me..its a hobby i love doing..and lol,no im 26 and this sint my 1st car..2nd cougar ina row though so i am kinda bored with them...last one i went the v6 sc route and was bored after that too..but if it has electrical problem,i will walk for shur...now electrical is NOT fun, even stereo install...

sn95jones

Reaction score
To be completely honest and respectful your motor is not "built" and from what it looks like your motor is mostly stock besides the Spectre air intake, coil pack which just looks to be red instead of the factory black color, spark plug wires look even stock. I mean you got a nice motor but the only thing that looks like you have going for you is the ZEX set up everything else just looks completely stock.
Don't get me wrong you have a nice car, I once bought one in the auto auction, restored it and sold it for 3 times as much as I bought it for.
Keep in mind when you do work to your car, 90% of the time you're not going to gain it back when it comes time to sell it, that's just part of selling a car. Sure it has some work done to it but it doesn't effect the resale value.
You can get a nice GT for $2500. Hell I bought my 96' GT with 180k miles and drove like a brand new car for $3000.
Don't just jump on this Mustang just because the guy is telling you it has all this badass shit, he's telling you what you want to hear. That yellow Mustang is a POS and you can find better deals anytime all the time. Be smart about it, I learned my lesson the hard way.

I had bought a 1989 Mustang GT that was bored out to a 306, 4:11 gears, BBK Shorty Headers, Dumped exhaust, CAI, 5-lug conversion, 4 wheel disk brake conversion for $2500.... Unloaded it off the trailer started it up and immediately had a blown headgasket.
Once we found that out we dug into the motor and knew it was needing a rebuild.... bad.

Long story short, if it seems too good to be true, it is.

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
^ lol i guess pi cam swap, a ported typhoon mani, polished intake runners in the npi heads, a tune, all msd stuff and new sensors, cobra mafs, 75mm plenum and tbody with spacers and the nitrous is just good...yaaa i can barly beat stock cougar,lol....dude,for a cougar its built...stock it ran a high 17 so i knocked off 4 seconds...id say thats pretty good and id consider my engine decent built considering all the new stuff in it seal and sensor wise as well as performance parts......but..anyways...im kinda getting scared from this mustang now...i may just have to bite the bullit and rock the cougar untill the wheels fall off....i dont wanna just jump on this car because i really want one..i have passed on 2 already though so im not affraid to pass on this one...

sn95jones

Reaction score
Just keep your eyes peeled sell the cougar for $2500-3000 buy yourself a nice stang. one with lower mileage and has 1 color to it :)

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
trust me...id love to sell my car...ive been trying for about 6 months now...and ive looked around and my car is very competive priced for around here...or is 2500 really too much?? if i was looking for a cougar id spend it on this car...and leggit,when that guy fixes that mustang id spend 2k on it and not feel bad or like i got ripped off....

sn95jones

Reaction score
$2500 is priced right. Hell I sold my 1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE for $2500 and I had to start it with a toggle switch while holding the key in the "START" position.
2k? That's not even the beginning of it, I'm sure the suspension needs to be worked, among other things. It's just too much of a hassle to deal with if your worried about getting what you put into to it out of it then the yellow stang is definitely not it.

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
i could care less if i get back what i put into them...i just cant give a car away,atleast not in my financal situation...but anyways..i wouldnt mind dumping a bit of cash into the stang...its a car i could see my self crusing for awhile,considering a 5.0 was the first car that really got me liking cars....BUT,i dont wanna bring home a car where ille be spending all my time chasing down some eletrical issue or a blown headgasket or trans.....guess i have to play my hand safe.

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
im going to take your guys advice...i asked for the vin and im going to run that and see if its ever been wrecked and get the aprox mileage and i told him that if the obd1 port doesnt allot me to pull codes im not going to even consider the trade...and in an earlier post i mentiioned an obd2 port in the car...that doesnt mean its been hacked up but i guess some of the mustangs came with a unhooked up obd2 port becuase i guess they were egtting ready to switch to the obd2 because of fedeal regulations..why waste the money and time on putting a phony port in ille never know..UNLESS,you can use it to switch the 5.0 distbrib motor to a coilpacked motor like the explorers have(but it could just be a goofy thought i have)..im also going to give tghe car a full inspection like plug color,oil,coolant,frame, suspension and driveablility...im also kinda nervous about the stang and just because i really want one doesnt mean im going to ditch my reliable cougar...and BTW,i fixed my idle ive been fighting for so long..turns out my MSD coilpacks i had were misslabled and some how even with a wire crossed on each coilpacks the engine ran fine at anything past 3/4 throttle but at pussyfooting it it ran hard and kinda choppy...i just chlaked it up as needing a tune as i put on the msd's with the PI cam swap and larger plenum and Tbody...hahaha im an idiot...i pulled some nextto new OEM coilpacks froma junkyard and put them on as a test and thats how i found the wires were wrong..had me stoned for a second looking and comparing the coilpacks..hahah DUH!!!!!!!!! guess my sig. is phony! anyways,anyone want a cougar for a stang? i got a coug for a stang? modded or stock lets trade! i also have 9x 24lb injectors( 9th has a cracked pintle cap so its a spare), the MSD coilpacks(ille label em correctly, or just follow your firing order) and an 80mm mafs with attached front "thingy" so you can use an airbox or cone filterwith it, can also be removed for mounting in ur stock airbox,brand new never used iac and pcv valve ALL for 4.6's $300 for everything shipped sound fair???? anyways...i should be looking at the stang on sun or mon..
;)

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Hmm sounds like your trading a pretty sweet cougar for a pretty scary mustang. I wouldnt consider it. You can get a way nicer stang for the price you can sell the cougar for. Just got to be patient.

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
ugh...just frustrating,ive been trying to sell this car for so long now.........guess it will just have to find the rite owner..My 92 cougar wasnt half this car but shur sold fast and it was just a put together 3.8 sc, the body was rusted and frame no rear brakes lol ricer spoiler,hacked exhaust and i still got 2200 for it.....cmon economy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online