good 8 point roll bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GT3FC, Feb 4, 2014.

1. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

I need a roll bar and I will be having one welded in when I get my tax refund. My question is, what is a good roll bar kit for a 02 gt convertible? any ideas? I'v seen good things about the maxim Motorsports kits. The main thing I need is it needs to be NRHA legal. I would like to have an 8 point roll bar. most of the ones I am finding are only 6

2. TanTop94

TanTop94 Well-Known Member

3. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

I saw that but Im not sure if it will work for a convertible, because companies make different kits for convertibles and kits for coupes. I believe that the roof is a little lower on a convertible. I might be wrong about that though. I am not entirely sure what is different between the coup and the convertible kits.

4. TanTop94

TanTop94 Well-Known Member

Whoops, didnt see it said coupe....and the search continues

5. duff daddy

duff daddy Legend

If your going nhra and need it to be spec to a certain ET/Speed, I would talk to a local chassis shop and just have them make one. Verts are easy with no top, tons of room to weld, and after paint the cage as needed. The kits they sell typically will be a little on the tough side to get a cert for due to tube size and you still need to have a shop weld it in.

Typically speaking if your going to do this, I would spend the extra, do through the floor sfc's and upper control arm support, and torque box reinforcement kits as well.

6. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Not everyone has a "local chassis shop".

7. duff daddy

duff daddy Legend

Local is a relative term, but some body shops, or if you ask around typically you wont have to drive more then 20-30 miles to get to one... Assuming your "local to a track" they will be centered to it.

8. Addermk2

Addermk2 Well-Known Member

Maximum motorsports.

$600 plus shipping. IIRC, shipping to a business is about $50. Bolt the cage in then bring it somewhere to have the plates welded to the floor pan.

9. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Aren't mm's 6 point?

10. Addermk2

Addermk2 Well-Known Member

They are indeed. But its certainly cheaper to buy the MM bar and add two more support struts eventually, than buying a complete weld together kit, and paying several hundred, or even a thousand dollars to have it put in.

If an 8 point cage was so dramatically better than a 6 point, NHRA would require it for sub 11.5 cars. From my interpretation of the regulations, you are only required to have a 5 point roll bar, up to the 10.00 time.

11. Pete@FTR

[email protected]

Definitely have one made by a shop, they'll be able to better fit your needs and may even be cheaper after shipping etc. If you look hard enough I'm sure you'll be able find a place to do it. Check out some NASCAR fabrication shops too, they like doing road race cars

12. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

Im not too concerned with it being certified because I dont plan on being in the ET's that require the certification. I have a shop that will weld it all in for about $500

13. GT3FC

GT3FC Active Member

thanks I'v decided to go with the MM 6-point with the swing out door bars