GT Front Caliper Issues

svfetter

Reaction score
95 GT - 55K Miles - Both front calipers have a very annoying rattle. Mentioned this in a previous post. I have verified that it is not the pads. Noise originates from play in the sliding pin assembly which allows caliper assembly to move with various pad thickness. After wheel is removed you can actually move caliper with your hands independent of bracket assembly and feel the play which causes the rattle. Of course, noise disappears when brakes are applied.

Anyone else had or have this condition???? Only fix I see is to purchase new caliper with bracket and hope the pin assembly is good and tight. If it is not you could have the same rattle with new calipers. Looking for comments and or ideas maybe I have not thought of.

ryclef331

Reaction score
The pads may still have some meat on them but are you SURE they still have the ANTI-RATTLE clips on the back of them?

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Reaction score
Yes - I have just done a brake job on the car. All pads are secure. In Fact, I am very pleased with the pads I purchased - No Dust in addition to more stopping power. As I mentioned, You can move the caliper and feel the play on the bracket at rest. Rapid movement this way will produce the sound you hear when driven. No issues as far as function. Just very annoying. I would say it started somewhere between 3 to 5 thousand miles ago. Play becomes worse with time and miles as does noise. Thanks.

ryclef331

Reaction score
svfetter said:
Yes - I have just done a brake job on the car. All pads are secure. In Fact, I am very pleased with the pads I purchased - No Dust in addition to more stopping power. As I mentioned, You can move the caliper and feel the play on the bracket at rest. Rapid movement this way will produce the sound you hear when driven. No issues as far as function. Just very annoying. I would say it started somewhere between 3 to 5 thousand miles ago. Play becomes worse with time and miles as does noise. Thanks.

I've never had a problem with my brakes honestly so thats as far as my guess would go.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
svfetter said:
Yes - I have just done a brake job on the car. All pads are secure. In Fact, I am very pleased with the pads I purchased - No Dust in addition to more stopping power.

What pads you go with.... I bought Hawk and they are good for stopping but they throw off so much freaking dust....

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Reaction score
I won't tolerate dust. Original Pads from Factory did not create dust. I was concerned about dust with replacements. My Expedition made a ton of dust right off the assembly line. I had to buy shields.

Pads I bought for mustang are Raybestos PG Plus Premium Ceramic - Front and Rear. More stopping power than Stock. Have taken a couple of several hundred mile trips and no dust. Very Satisfied!!! O0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online

No members online now.