Guess my oil leak...

powerfreak

Reaction score
Got a bit of a leak. It leaves a few spots when it's parked. It doesn't smoke or seem to leak when it's running. See picture below. It builds up and drips off that tab on the back of the block. Also runs down from there and drips off the bell-housing. What do you think... valve cover gasket?

leakro8.jpg

OP
OP
P

powerfreak

Reaction score
scarface said:
most likely. OR rear main.

I originally thought it was the rear main because it does drip off the bell-housing...but that spot in the picture is too high up (and could just be dripping down on the bell-housing). If it was the rear main, would I smell oil burning off the clutch? Are leaky valve cover gaskets a common thing on these motors? Could it also be a intake manifold gasket?

ripper

Reaction score
It may be a valve cover the damn things are so hard to see under there. Run your fingers around it and feel for oil. If you dont get any then its your rear main. Which means you got to pull your trani, which means if you got longtubes your screwed.

OP
OP
P

powerfreak

Reaction score
Stevo said:
It may be a valve cover the damn things are so hard to see under there. Run your fingers around it and feel for oil. If you dont get any then its your rear main. Which means you got to pull your trani, which means if you got longtubes your screwed.

nope...no long tubes, but I aint pulling the tranny unless it's blown. I figured I'd do the valve cover gaskets, but if it's the rear main, than I'll deal with the couple spots on the garage floor.

Whistler98

Reaction score
Mine leaks by the oil cooler but only when it is cold and I first start it up. Once it warms up no leak. I'll fix it when I redo the motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.