Handz Summer 2010 Build Thread: PI Motor Swap

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Handz Build Thread: Kenne Bell Install!!!!

It All Started out as a Crash.....

My little brother Rear-Ended someone in his GT. It was a really sad situation. Accidents happen... To buy him a new car, I decided to help him part the car to gain money for a new car for him. The car would have cost WAY too much to fix.... It was just cheaper for my family to buy another car for him.

IMG_3211Small.jpg

.... But ender the hood was a Fresh PI Motor. The car was an Automatic and the car had never been beat on. 60K Miles on the motor..... Pretty much fresh.

IMG_3215Small.jpg

Well, Since It was there I called dibs on the motor, in exchange I parted out the entire car for him.

So, we took the motor out.....

IMG_3231Small.jpg

IMG_3234Small.jpg

IMG_3237Small.jpg

I didnt feel like buying an engine stand so I borrowed my buddies that was just sitting in his Backyard. Ford some reason the engine stand wasnt wide enough for the 4.6.... So i took a grinder a Knotched the mounting plate. Worked like a Charm!!!

IMG_3240Small.jpg

IMG_3246Small.jpg

There is sits....

IMG_3254Small.jpg

Then I got ride of the Car....

IMG_3354Small.jpg

IMG_3362Small.jpg

IMG_3375Small.jpg

IMG_3392Small.jpg

IMG_3394Small.jpg

IMG_3398Small.jpg

I Put The motor in the corner of my garage until I could gather some money and sell the rest of the parts off that car first.....

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Needed to Do a Couple Detail Jobs to Save Money for all my Install parts for the Motor..... So I did a few things to Kill the Time.

New U-Joints with Grease Fittings

Nothing was wrong with my U-Joints.... But my car has 140K on the clock and I am a maintenance whore So I decided to put some new U-joints on. Picked these up at NAPA for $30.

IMG_3704Small.jpg

IMG_3701Small.jpg

Picked up this Took @ HarborFreight for like $30.... Made the job very easy.

IMG_3706Small.jpg

IMG_3708Small.jpg

Snapped out the Clips...

IMG_3711Small.jpg

IMG_3712Small.jpg

Gauge Cluster Polish & Cleaning

Soooo, Ever since I bought my car I have had these stupid scratches on my Gauges cluster housing. IT HAS ALWAYS PISSED ME OFF!!!! I got tired of looking at these light scratches ion the light So i removed the cluster to handle business.

IMG_3757Small.jpg

Removed the Cover Bolts....

IMG_3760Small.jpg

IMG_3762Small.jpg

Exposed the Cover and cleaned all the dust off the inside.

3 Steps to Corrected the Plastic.... All Done by Hand Using CG MF Towels

I picked up the Chemicals from Detailing.com and wanted to go all 3M on this one.

-3M Rubbing Compound
-3M Plastic Cleaner'
-3M Plastic Polish

IMG_3767Small.jpg

IMG_3766Small.jpg

Looks LOT better!!!

IMG_3770Small.jpg

IMG_3772Small.jpg

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Saved Enough Money To Order All My Install Parts!!! Thanks PepBoys, NAPA, CobraBobShifterGaskets Steve@TousleyFord, LastCallRacing.com, and RockAuto.com For All your Great Prices and Fast Services!!!

I decided to buy as many new gaskets and things I could for the Motor..... I wanted everything OEM. The Clutch I decided to go with SACHS because i know its OEM quality.

Parts List goes as Follows....

-CobraBobShifterGasket

PepBoys
OEM Rebuilt Alternator

RockAuto.com
-SACHS 10.5 inch Clutch. OEM Spec Replacement.

LastCallRacing.com
-FRPP Nodular Flywheel (This part was Discounted and VERY hard to get)

NAPA
-OEM Replacement Crank Pulley

Steve@TousleyFord (All OEM Ford Parts)
-Idler Pulley
-Belt Tensioner
-Clutch Fork
-Intake Plenum Gasket
-EGR Gasket
-Water Pump Gasket
-Exhaust Gasket
-Spark Plugs
-Rear Main Seal
-Front Main Seal
-Oil Cooler Gasket
-Intake Manifold Gaskets
-Valve Cover Gaskets
-Timing Cover Gaskets
-Heater Hoses
-T-stat Bolts
-FRPP Dowel Pins & Pressure Plate Bolts
-FRPP Flywheel Bolts.
-Pilot Bearing
-TOB

IMG_3941Small.jpg

I am Getting rid of my Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch to return to a stock clutch. The Centerforce was WAY too soft for me and the pedal catch was in consistent..... After much consideration, i Decided to go with the SACHS OEM replacement.... most of the OEM parts for the Ford GT Supercar were produced by SACHS.

IMG_3944Small.jpg

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Borrowed an Engine Hoist from a Local Forum User (Quick99). He lives close to me and was VERY kind enough to let me use his engine hoist Free of charge. I was very thankful that he Let me use his hoist. Thanks Again Quick99 & TheMustangPitStop!!!!

Engine Swap Time!!!!

NEW MOTOR SPECS
Build Date: 10/5/00
Build Plant: Romeo
Crank Bolts: 6
Extra Info: Bolt-On Cam Gears but the motor came with a PLASTIC Crossover PI manifold. Motor also uses quite timing set.

Me and by Buddy pulled the Motor out in Half a day. we took our time to not mess anything up. We decided the best Method to pull the motor was to remove it with the Wiring Harness and Trans connected. So, I just unplugged the wiring from the body and pulled it out.

Taped up the Fender with Blue painters tape to prevent any paint damage. The tape really Save us a few Times!!!

didnt take pics of the engine pull because it was only me and my buddy.

NPI Engine Out!!!!

IMG_3946Small.jpg

IMG_3947Small.jpg

LOL

IMG_3949Small.jpg

IMG_3948Small.jpg

As you Can see above the timing cover on my NPI motor was BLACK with and grease. Since I had to re-use the timing cover on the PI motor, I spent a 2 hours cleaning the timing cover VERY well.

Products Used:
-Karcher Pressure Washer
-Meguires Wheel Brightner
-Brakleen
-Little Brush from Lowes

IMG_3951Small.jpg

Came out Great!!!

IMG_3952Small.jpg

Installed the New Front Seal on the Timing cover with a Piece if Exhaust Tube and a Rubber Mallet!!!

IMG_3954Small.jpg

Volla!!!

IMG_3956Small.jpg

Next, I took the motors apart and started moving parts over. I used the OEM Ford Service guide for 1998 to torque EVERYTHING to spec.

IMG_3957Small.jpg

Installed the Valve Covers and Timing cover. Ford Tech guide says you had to have it torqued within 4 mins so i didnt take pics.

IMG_3951Small.jpg

Ford Changed the Timing gears on the Crank on Romeo motors therefor made the Crank Sensor Wheel different. To make sure this worked, I used the '00 Crank sensor wheel and sensors in the 1998 Timing cover with all the accessories.

Intake Manifold gaskets on

IMG_3959Small.jpg

T-Stat and O-Ring in Place

IMG_3960Small.jpg

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
OEM OIL COOLER INSTALL

After doing a Little Research, I found out my '98 is a little special.... Its a 5-Speed car, But it was equipped with a OEM Oil Cooler.

As far as I know (Research), Police Cars and Taxi 4.6 Engines were all fitted with a Oil Cooler thats uses coolant coming from the radiator to cool the Oil.

I know automatic mustangs were fitted with this cooler..... But VERY FEW 5-Speed GT cars were fitted with this Oil Cooler.... My '98 GT was one of those cars.

I decided to Keep this unique piece on the new Motor.... So i moved it over.

To remove the oil cooler, you need a 1/2 Inch allen Wrench (BIG SUCKER!!!)

In the Pic Below you can see the Oil cooler and the Oil Filter Adaptor.

Left = '00 Oil Filter Adaptor
Right = '98 Oil Cooler

The OIL COOLER uses 2 pieces and Flows cool water coming into the motor around the oil entering the oil filter. Great idea if you ask me... But I get ford got cheap and ditch this cause it was too expensive to produce.

To Use the OIL COOLER you MUST YOU BOTHE PIECES on the OIL COOLER. YOU CANT MIX AND MATCH OIL COOLER AND OIL ADAPTOR PARTS

IMG_3961Small.jpg

Oil Cooler Installed!!!

IMG_3982Small.jpg

'00 vs '98 Crank Pulley

The 2000 PI motor uses a different pulley with alot of weight on it. Ford said this was to reduce engine noise.... I Decided to use my '98 Pulley to keep the accessories the same But since my '98 Pulley rubber was all Messed up, I bought a new one from NAPA.

Left = '00 Pulley
Right = '98 Pulley

IMG_4005Small.jpg

IMG_4007Small.jpg

Rotted '98 Pulley.... FAIL

IMG_4009Small.jpg

INSTALL DAY!!!

IMG_3964Small.jpg

New Motor Ready to Go with 1998 Accessories!!!!

IMG_3965Small.jpg

IMG_3967Small.jpg

OEM TOB and Clutch Ford JUST for good Measure

IMG_3978Small.jpg

FLUIDS!!!! ONLY THE BEST!!! Redline Trans Fluid is The BEst I Have Used!!! Way Better Feel than Royal Purple Which I had Before!!!

IMG_3984Small.jpg

INSTALLED AND RUNNING!!!!

IMG_4011Small.jpg

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So, For some reason my clutch started making a CREAKING noise while i disengaged the clutch. At first I thought it was the Clutch Fork, So I pulled the tranny to inspect everything... Turns out everything was fine.... But after much research and playing around, the final verdict was DEFECTIVE PRESSURE PLATE.

Ohh well, it happens. So i got another clutch. Same one, SACHS OEM replacement. So far this clutch has no problems and i have almost 1,000 miles on the new/NEW clutch.

I also replaced the clutch Pivot Ball cause mine looked a little worn.

IMG_4015Small.jpg

IMG_4018Small.jpg

New Pivot Ball next to the Old Pivot Ball

IMG_4019Small.jpg

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I do the same thing so I can add my updates to the first concurrent posts.

OP
OP
S

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, there is some issues with my website.... hopefully Tech will have it fixed in the morning so i can host my pics.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
great. you blew the website. now me and the mad scientist have to tear down the mainframe to dig out the HTML code you fried.

snoball

Reaction score
How is it a build thread if you took one complete slow npi motor out and put another stock slightly faster but slow pi motor in? You didnt do anything besides unplug some sensors and undo hoses and motor mounts. Id consider it a build if there was some cams, headers or something added.

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
Snoball said:
How is it a build thread if you took one complete slow npi motor out and put another stock slightly faster but slow pi motor in? You didnt do anything besides unplug some sensors and undo hoses and motor mounts. Id consider it a build if there was some cams, headers or something added.

Im starting to see that with Handz anything is possible! look how many people he suckered into a blank thread....