Hard To Shift 96 GT

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ times 2

Junk tranny fluid will cause poor shifting feel. Like night and day different! Look for manual specific tranny fluid.

thelastofthem23004

Reaction score
You might try new tranny fluid. Old fluid would cause shifting issues. You could try adding some (idk if this is the products real name) friction additive. I've heard that helps, but have never had to do so. the5.ohh if you shift a t5 into 4th before going into reverse it really helps out. Mine grinds bad if I don't go into 4th first.

JGcoupe

Reaction score
I had similar issue where I put the car in 1st and it would feel as is if it was putting an auto car in drive. I replaced the clutch cable cause of "stretching" stories that I read and it cured it for a short time. I ended up upgrading the quadrant, adding an adjustable cable and firewall adjuster. Didn't have any issues after that.

It is possible that the pressure plate could be worn out or broken and causing a very slight engagement even when the clutch pedal is on the floor. You did describe a "shaking" feeling when stopped and in gear so depending on the age/abuse on the clutch and or the adjustment results of your cable, will better determine which route you need to go first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online