Head games

Flade

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple sets of heads for my 94 GT.
I have a 94 Cobra Intake, Hooker Headers, 24 lb injectors, 70 BBK Throttle body & matching MAF. Will add a mild cam and a tuning chip, under drive pulley's, Off Road H-Pipe and Magnaflow Cat back.

#1. Edelbrock Performer heads. They have 1.90 valves, Stud mounted Rockers and guide plates. Best I can tell they should be part number 603289 which have 60 cc chambers and 170 runners. They are listed for 65-95 289/302 engines. I am thinking about using them on my 94 GT. Best I can tell the only difference between them and the 5.0 heads (60379) is the Rocker studs If they were 5.0 heads they would be set up for Pedestal rockers. The heads apparently have never been used but have been sitting on a shelf for years. They have some rust on the springs and guide plates, but otherwise look perfect.

Whats's a fair price for the heads? They went for $1600 when new, and go for $1800 now.

#2. The other choice I am looking at is a pair of early Twisted Wedge 170 heads. They are also new but have been sitting for years. The guy is asking $820 for them. They are also Pedestal heads.

#3. ProComp Heads. Brand new assembled "ProComp" aluminum small block Ford cylinder heads. These heads feature closed style 64cc combustion chambers and 190cc intake runners. I am concerned about the larger chamber size. They are listed at $550 which I assume is per head.

If going with heads that use Rocker Studs, I have an ancient (Early 80s) set of 1.6 ratio Crane rockers in perfect condition I can use with them

Any thoughts on using any of these heads with my planned setup? Any reason I should look for a 5.0L set of heads and reuse my stock pedestal rockers instead?

nitroponynj

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple sets of heads for my 94 GT.
I have a 94 Cobra Intake, Hooker Headers, 24 lb injectors, 70 BBK Throttle body & matching MAF. Will add a mild cam and a tuning chip, under drive pulley's, Off Road H-Pipe and Magnaflow Cat back.

#1. Edelbrock Performer heads. They have 1.90 valves, Stud mounted Rockers and guide plates. Best I can tell they should be part number 603289 which have 60 cc chambers and 170 runners. They are listed for 65-95 289/302 engines. I am thinking about using them on my 94 GT. Best I can tell the only difference between them and the 5.0 heads (60379) is the Rocker studs If they were 5.0 heads they would be set up for Pedestal rockers. The heads apparently have never been used but have been sitting on a shelf for years. They have some rust on the springs and guide plates, but otherwise look perfect.

Whats's a fair price for the heads? They went for $1600 when new, and go for $1800 now.

#2. The other choice I am looking at is a pair of early Twisted Wedge 170 heads. They are also new but have been sitting for years. The guy is asking $820 for them. They are also Pedestal heads.

#3. ProComp Heads. Brand new assembled "ProComp" aluminum small block Ford cylinder heads. These heads feature closed style 64cc combustion chambers and 190cc intake runners. I am concerned about the larger chamber size. They are listed at $550 which I assume is per head.

If going with heads that use Rocker Studs, I have an ancient (Early 80s) set of 1.6 ratio Crane rockers in perfect condition I can use with them

Any thoughts on using any of these heads with my planned setup? Any reason I should look for a 5.0L set of heads and reuse my stock pedestal rockers instead?
Best heads for the money are twisted wedge heads

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Personal choice. Many would argue that afr makes superior heads.

It’s kinda like the kids back in the 90’s who argued which was better, Nintendo’s or Sega’s. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitroponynj

Reaction score
Personal choice. Many would argue that afr makes superior heads.

It’s kinda like the kids back in the 90’s who argued which was better, Nintendo’s or Sega’s. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree 100% I've ran alot of small block heads and recently picked up a set of pro comp 3037s. Bought all new valvetrain and upgraded to 10° locks flowed them at my friend's machine shop and asked him for his opinion and he said for the money the heads flow 250+cfm and will work just fine. Now if you Google pro comp 99.9% of the feedback you read will be negatir. It's not holding me back from running them. By them Bare and use good valvetrain just my personal experience with pro comp. Also used the big block Chevy pro comps on a 496 blower combo they ran well same situation bought them Bare ran new valvetrain. Good luck to the original guy who posted this.
On a stick bottom end twisted wedge has my vote...hahaha

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience, screw Pro Comp heads. The set that I had were total piles of junk. The pushrod holes were to far apart and led to a bevy of valvetrain issues. The ports were terribly machined and not one of them were the same size. Your mileage may vary but buyer beware.

98634182-E857-4DAE-89F4-61B4BB95BC72.jpeg

CBC6E1C9-3168-43BF-B552-29EDF9B702E1.jpeg

7F5449C6-FA36-4994-97B7-3DADDA292558.jpeg

0A75526A-385E-4940-AA64-752F833E85D0.jpeg

E420D93A-BFC3-48BD-A03C-C41B4ECD7700.jpeg

Even after some CNC port work the gains weren’t very impressive.

AF7E8A94-3060-4478-BF0B-BE6EBBA6614F.jpeg

Get with woody or Nicole @ Fordstrokers.com and they’ll get you set up. They even offer a payment plan to make even the most expensive parts reachable for commoners like us.

Chip66

Reaction score

I like the Twisted Wedge heads myself for the money. However, with any manufactured head with valves and springs included, beware that the seats may not be very good. They often have concentric grind problems with the seats.

The last Twisted Wedge set of heads I purchased all the valves leaked. Not horribly, but measurable. The attached picture shows one of the intake ports seeping mineral spirits through sitting on the bench.

I spent a few hours of lapping the valves, old school style and they sealed quite nicely.

The best head setup is going to be purchased bare and built with attention to detail by a good machine shop. If you can afford all the value-added costs.

It comes down to what do you gain for each dollar spent. I justified not building my heads because the gains buy spending another $500+ on a shop built set, may only gain another 5HP than the out of the box heads.

If you don't deal with poorly manufactured valve seats you could risk breaking valves. That will through all your savings out the window immediately.

Attachments

• 20160716_135706.jpg
    20160716_135706.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online