Hello all mustang lovers

Turbulence

Reaction score
Being brand new to a site like this is a little overwhelming. I have been kicking around here trying to locate some specific info about turbo build up's for my 1994 cobra. I keep getting lost. There is so much information out there that I thought a place like this, that is specific to our cars would make it easier to find details. I will keep up the search, but if any of you have the time, please point me in the right direction. I have been in the process of building up my 5.0 with the On-3 kit, ( after modifications for fitment) and I am at that point where any first time turbo swap guy gets lost. The car is together, the engine has been completely rebuilt, while keeping most of the internals for the rebuild. I went with Total Seal file to fit rings, and Clevite H mains. The crank was in perfect condition but I had the journals polished when I had the GT40 heads gone through at a local machine shop. I kept the stock cam, and upper end, but I did use new Comp Cams valve springs for added protection under boost. This engine came from Ford with the roller top end and I didn't see any need to change it. My goal is 8 or 9 psi and 375 horse in a daily driver that I can still take to my local track for weekend fun.

Since the On-3 kit came with a 70mm t4 turbo, and all the cold and hot side piping seems to be of good quality, I spent the dough to avoid having to spend all my extra time for months trying to fabricate the plumbing on my own. The I/C is decent, and the fact that they gave the 2 to 1 for my existing exhaust tips was a plus. Alas, the description and the reality are far from reality. Anyone who has lots of experience doing these sorts of builds could agree, that you always have some surprises when you pay a "bargain" price for a whole kit that is supposed to "bolt right up".......luckily I have a tig welder, and some skills or I would have burned this car to the ground 3 months ago. Now for the details,

I used 42 pound injectors, and neglected to upgrade the Pro-M 24 lb MAF ( draw through style ) because I was unsure of the difference between the draw through and the blow through, and what the benefit of making the swap to blow through could be? If I make the conversion to blow through, what do they mean when they say, "tuning required"? I have the Anderson Motorsports PMS EEC-IV for a piggyback, but that is not really the answer to all my issues. I also have questions about catch cans. I kept the factory Cobra upper intake, because I just do not see many guys out there who have one on a boosted cobra. I polished mine, and I think that it will flow fine, but it has that integrated TB elbow that comes very close to the rocker cover on the passenger side, so it doesn't lend itself to upgrading to covers that already have A/N ports in them for catch can blow by. Is there someone who can direct me to a few pictures of guys that have altered the factory covers with either A/N fittings or ports of some other kind so I can have a reference? Also, I didn't really want to move the battery to the trunk, because I have a big system in there of glassed in sub woofer enclosures and amp racks, but it sure seems like space is at a premium in the engine bay for the can to mount. Ideas here would be great.

Last, I am a novice. I am not a mechanic who does this stuff for a living. Just a shade tree fellow who wants something he couldn't afford to have built by a speed shop. Plus, where's the fun in that? I am pretty decent with welding, fabrication, and automotive painting/body work. I have basic knowledge on lots of stuff about customizing vehicles. However, the tuning part, the timing part, the making this thing run like it did before I completely tore it down, and then added a bunch of boost to it part........is a mystery. No amount of research is enough to educate those that have never DONE the WORK themselves. I hope that this is the right place to come for advice, and ideas, from other guys like myself who are just trying to have a little fun before they die. I am sure that even this long winded post has left out details. I will try to post a build thread with images of all that I have done to the ride. Thanks in advance for the direction, and education.

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
I feel like a such a newb. I just scrolled down to forced induction, and bam, all the info I ever wanted. Sorry to waste everyone's time.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hey [MENTION=21884]Turbulence[/MENTION], first off welcome to the community! There are some fantastic people here with a lot of knowledge. Secondly, you may get picked on a little bit, but its all in fun. Around here, we really dont mind of questions are asked 100 times, they just get pointed the same direction as the last person that asked. You should definitely start a build thread and post A LOT of pictures.

wmfateam

Reaction score
You are required to go back and look at this post in five years and giggle. I just looked back at my first post and I got the color of my car incorrect. Welcome and like he said, most of us will just answer or point you in the right direction. Even if that question has been asked 100 times. Keeps the memory fresh.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Turbo pushrods are always welcome!!!!! Ask away!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Turbulence

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I have a ton of pictures, but of course I cant open a photo bucket account from my work computer, ( Nazi IT guys ) so I will look to get that handled this evening.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also look at tapatalk. It allows you to navigate the forum from your phone or tablet and load pics straight from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online