HELP! '98 with leaking trunk

MikeW

Reaction score
Need a little help here...

My '98 has had a leaking trunk sice I bought it a couple of months ago. I got in the trunk while someone put the hosepipe to it and it was leaking in the middle of the trunk lid where the weatherstriping is. I bought new weatherstriping and that has not fixed the problem. I have look at other places for leaks like around where the gas fill tube is (its fine) and there seems to be no other places that leak.

The only thing I see that may cause the leaking in the same place after the weatherstriping is there is a rubber piece that runs along the bottom of the rear windsheild. In the spot where the trunk is leaking the rubber is loose in the same place on the windsheild....

I may try to glue the rubber back to the window and see if that helps... anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Goldmember

Reaction score
I have the same problem...I think I've got mine narrowed down to one of three things: leak through the taillight on the pass. side, the weatherstrip, or the body caulk around the hinge on the pass. side has a leak. My weatherstrip is still OK so I'm just gonna reseal it with weatherstrip adhesive.

I too could use a little insight on this problem...

Reaction score
Same problem with my '98. and I guess the alarm system (whatever came stock) is getting wet in the back, because every time I drive it through heavy rain after I shut the car off, a few hours later it will start tripping balls. It just goes off randomly for no reason, and once it starts, it starts doing it ALOT at random moments. I have to disconnect the battery sometimes just so it wont go off in the middle of the night.

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
MikeW said:
I got in the trunk while someone put the hosepipe to it
you actually climbed into the trunk and shut it? couldnt you have just folded down the rear seat? lol

Reaction score
94Pro-5.0 said:
MikeW said:
I got in the trunk while someone put the hosepipe to it
you actually climbed into the trunk and shut it? couldnt you have just folded down the rear seat? lol

I had to do that before.....in a VW bug :*(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online