Help! Car won't fire up!

SonicStang

Reaction score
Well most of you know I own that 1996 GT with a 2002 GT PI engine and I had a Vortech installed for a couple miles, which I yanked out yesterday (had to - but that is a different story). I put everything back to stock, but the car won't fire up. It throws the Code P1000.

What I exactly did:
- removed the S/C
- put 19lb injectors back in (they are off of a 2002 GT if that matters)
- put on the stock air inlet piping, filter and maf
- put on the stock driving belt
- put the tune back to stock with an Xcal2

What can I do? I cranked it for about 10 minutes, now the battery is almost empty. It turned but did not fire up. Well it fired up for 3 seconds when I first fired it up but after that nothing...
I checked all electrical connections, everything is hooked up. I took out one spark plug (NGK BR7EF) to see if its wet but it is dry.
The fuel pressure is fine. I still have the walbro 255lb/hr pump in the tank.
Any input highly appreciated!!!! :-\

ripper

Reaction score
Take your fuel line off and see if you are getting fuel to the fuel rail. It sounds like it fired with the little bit that was in there then you got no more. Check your line for kinks. Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key? Its def a fuel prob. Check your fuses. Did you disconnect the battery while you doing all this?

OP
OP
S

SonicStang

Reaction score
Stevo said:
Take your fuel line off and see if you are getting fuel to the fuel rail. It sounds like it fired with the little bit that was in there then you got no more. Check your line for kinks. Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key? Its def a fuel prob. Check your fuses. Did you disconnect the battery while you doing all this?

I checked the fuel lines, they look normal. When I pressed the bleed-valve on the fuel rail fuel was coming out of it so I suppose the fuel lines have fuel. When I resetted the computer I could heat the walbro pump pumping the fuel, it is pretty loud. not 100% sure if it runs when starting the engine.
Could it be an injector problem? I used 19s off of a 2002GT, whereas I used the stock 19s off my 96 before.

OP
OP
S

SonicStang

Reaction score
Okay I took the fuel rail off the injectors and there was no fuel spilling out of the rail. I once again used the Xcal to put the car back to stock, usually you can hear the fuel pump pumping fuel thru the lines but this time it did not pump. There was a buzzing sound coming from the engine, I wasn't able to locate it exactly, it comes from somewhere the top of the intake. If you touch the upper intake plenum you can feel it vibrating. I checked the fuel pump shutoff switch in the trunk, it's in working order.

Do I need a custom tune for a walbro pump? ??? Could this be the problem?

ripper

Reaction score
No if its got power and grounded and not shorted out (which they are known for) it should work just fine. Let me make a call and see if i can get some info for you.

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
this sounds exacally like whats wrong with my car... just randomally won't fire....

cept i didn't pull a vortech off of mine.

nyuk98gt

Reaction score
SonicStang:

The buzzing you hear during flashing is the IAC. I don't know why it does it but it does. You ought to pull the fan and FP fuses when flashing (nag, nag, nag).

Check with Randy Stinchcomb (Parts forum at MD) about the injectors. I am pretty sure that the stubby ones are the types you want (orange). You need a "noid" light to check injector signals (i.e.--the firing signal from the PCM). It isn't expensive and you might be able to borrow one from AutoZone for a refundable deposit.

If the injectors are OK, then check your sensor connectors very well and do it twice. Is the crankshaft position sensor back in? Are you sure that the stock tune is truly a stock tune? If it was overwritten with a custom tune, it may not work at all. Have you checked the FP fuse (it's the yellow 20A fuse closest to the fender on the LH side of the engine bay fuse panel. The PCM fuse is the one closest to the engine -- check it, too)? Is there a FP relay in the circuit? Does the Walbro pump come on with boost or does it always run? What about the fuel pressure regulator? Is it back to stock or adjusted for boost/pressure conditions?

HTH,

Chris

S

scarface

mine did that when the TPS went bad...The ECU thought I was putting the pedal to the floor all the time...that = no fuel.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is a little black wire coming off your fuel line that should be grounded to a stud on the driver's side. Did this get pulled off?

OP
OP
S

SonicStang

Reaction score
Well I reprogrammed again and the fuel pump is running now. The problem was the 2002 Injectors. They did not work on my 1996. I put the 1996 ones back in. Who would have guessed that...

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
this is way off topic, but that was the case when i swapped motors. I used my 98 ECU, but for some reason, the cooling fan wouldnt come one. I switched the coolant temp sensors from my 98 motor, and the fan came on! lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online