Here is my official plan....

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
g36 monkey said:
So ported and polished windstar > stage 3 intake from SSM?

annnd, will this fit on the new motor? (4.2)

you can't exactly port and polish a plastic upper intake lol. but
stock windstar upper > ssm upper
just remember that the windstar is just an upper and you should get the lower from ssm.

the differences between the 3.8 and 4.2 are few and far between. they are essentially the same motor except one has a longer stroke. I also believe there is a difference in the oil pan. Other than that they are identical. The intakes for your 4.2 are the same as a 99+ 3.8

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thats what I thought I was just making sure. I got the motor from my friends dad, it blew the head gasket and they went ahead and put the mustang motor in his truck haha.

And I realize how stupid of me it was to ask about porting the windstar intake, silly me.

My only concern is fitting under the stock hood, thats one thing I dont want to have to buy haha.

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
g36 monkey said:
Thats what I thought I was just making sure. I got the motor from my friends dad, it blew the head gasket and they went ahead and put the mustang motor in his truck haha.

And I realize how stupid of me it was to ask about porting the windstar intake, silly me.

My only concern is fitting under the stock hood, thats one thing I dont want to have to buy haha.

Stephen makes an angled tb spacer that makes it fit under the stock hood.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that, I would be getting that whole kit lol.
You mentioned the oil pan being different, do you think I should swap my current one on from the 3.8?

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
"99-00 split port heads

- 4.2 shortblock or longblock
- You can use the 4.2 heads
- Mustang upper and lower intake and fuel rail
- Mustang 3.8 water pump
- Auto trans = 4.2 or 01-up flexplate
- 5spd = 01-up or rebalanced 3.8 (0 or neutral) flywheel and a pilot bearing
- Re-use your stock cam position sensor
- 01-up 3.8 oil pan
- 01-up 3.8 oil pick-up tube and screen
- 4.2 damper or 01-up 3.8 damper (use the 01 pulley for blower cars)
- Re-use the stock 3.8 oil pressure sender and tube
- Re-use the Mustang headers
- You can use the 4.2 or 3.8 dipstick. Just keep track of where 5 qts puts the mark when refilling with oil"

Just gonna keep that here to reference haha. Looks Im gonna have to find parts off of newer cars, o boy :)

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A few pictures of todays progress, there will be frequents of these until I get burnt out lol.

Here is the oil that came out, just to show you what coolant mixing with oil looks like ha.

P3170050.jpg

Popped the valve covers off
P3170051.jpg

P3170052.jpg

And I pressure washed them

P3170053.jpg

P3170054.jpg

Cleaned up the lower manifold bolts, because no one will ever see them. Waste of time, yes, but still felt proud :)
P3170055.jpg

Not sure what this piece is, but I took a picture of it because it said 4.2L/3.8L so I got excited. this is still a learning experience for me.
P3170056.jpg

Cleaned up the lower manifold just because it was gross, even though I'm getting a new one. It had funk just caked on.
P3170057.jpg

P3170058.jpg

Valve covers after a good washing
P3170059.jpg

And this is one valve cover after being sanded down some. Do you guys think I should continue to sand and polish to make them chrome, or powder coat them back to black? Either way I have to sand them down, but just want some opinions.
P3170060.jpg

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You think that over polished? How bad do you think the polished would tarnish? I have been waiting for you to input haha ;)

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you have a point. I'll look into the silver. Next question of the day, planning on a new rear end with gears and a t-lok.
I drive on the highway quite a bit though so I don't want any steeper than 3:55's. I actually wanted somewhere in the neighborhood of 3:35's but someone got me thinking about the 55s. I would like opinions here.
Thanks so much for your help guys!

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
g36 monkey said:
you have a point. I'll look into the silver. Next question of the day, planning on a new rear end with gears and a t-lok.
I drive on the highway quite a bit though so I don't want any steeper than 3:55's. I actually wanted somewhere in the neighborhood of 3:35's but someone got me thinking about the 55s. I would like opinions here.
Thanks so much for your help guys!

i have a set of 4.10's for sale.... lol

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks man :)
So I guess now is a time for an update.

My buddy is insistent on me getting a turbo, so I am debating getting a small turbo just for a little tiny bit of boost. Nothing crazy (seriously)
Overall plan is still the same, just might not change the compression to be as high so I can run the turbo easier.
Any input is greatly appreciated :)

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
time for me to bring back a thread from the dead.

My current trans is starting to give me trouble so I might swap in a new tranny sooner than I planned. My question is should I just get a new t-5. like could it handle the increase in power or should I swap to the t-56 I believe that was in the gt's. If I did that what would I have to do to make it work, from what I can tell its just bellhousing and maybe yoke on the drive shaft.

Again thanks for the help.
Update on the motor, I pulled out all the pushrods and took the heads off. But me and my dad not thinking got all the push rods mixed up, FML haha.
Also dropped the oil pan, pretty soon gonna get those nasty pistons out along with the crank and cam.
Because I have a job now, might look into new rods and pistons while I'm in there :)
Any input is much appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s

Members online