hey all new guy here

GrumpyBadger

Reaction score
hey all,

I go by "GrumpyBadger" in most online communities. My real name is Pat. I actually don't own a Mustang and actually daily drove an 11 second 1969 El Camino for about 10 years.
icon_omg.gif

I'm not trolling though, I promise. I'd never admit it back then, but yeah, my car was "meh, great." She had a Dart block, 427 cubes, AFR heads, edelbrock intake and a big ol Holley and high lift Comp Cam. She made plenty of power, and once we got her to grip, she wasn't allowed to come back
icon_steer.gif
because she had no roll-cage. Oops.

The fact is. To this day, I think my buddy's K-code 289 1966 Mustang notch was a cooler car... Yep. No she wasn't nearly as fast. But he started upgrading her with "period go-fasts" as he called them. Basically he had a lot of GT350 type parts in her suspension and drivetrain.

My Uncle worked at Ford predelivery. His side of the family has worked for Ford in one way, or another, since the 1930s I think (depending on who you ask). So, deep down in side, I've bled Blue my whole life. First word I could spell was F-O-R-D from the back tailgate of his pickup.

Basically, I'm not a bot. I'm here, and here for a reason.

I've been trolling alot of forums having to do with the car I'm wanting to build. And I got to say, I've ended up here more often than not when it comes to technical aspects of the engines. I've also been perusing this forum looking for Sn95s that are in tough shape, and the owners wouldn't mind them going to a good home to be "resurrected" into a Cobra lol:angel:

I don't need a "bucket list of magazine recommended parts" and "super high flow heads" and all that jazz. I did that with my Elky.

I'm looking to build a happy 302. And by happy, 300 or so rwhp is PLENTY. I know how much that is in reality, and in a 2400 lb car, it's more than enough.

Unfortunately, I'm not planning on building a Mustang, but I hope you guys will accept me here. I love Mustangs. I really do. On my bucket list is getting a 65 GT350 one day, or if I find a fastback that needs help, and isn't numbers matching, a clone isn't out of the question. But I'm building a Cobra... or a Daytona. that's got to count for something right?!

however, I have a wee half-pint. She's 3.5 right now. A Cobra/Daytona only has enough room for two. If the right Mustang chooses me, preferably a Sn95 (why I'm here) and while I'm dreaming an SVT 5.8l Cobra lol or a 65-66 Fastback, yeah... I'd give her a good home. Heck that's why I registered here.

Great tech on the (I guess now we'd say) "pushrod" 5.0, Sn95s to drool and admire. I'm really happy to be here.

RichV

Reaction score
Welcome!

Saw your interest in ba#97's SN. You mentioned you race with NASA? What class? Or what group?

FFR would be a fun build some day. Saw a GTM Supercar at the last event, it got a lot of looks.

OP
OP
GrumpyBadger

GrumpyBadger

Reaction score
Welcome!

Saw your interest in ba#97's SN. You mentioned you race with NASA? What class? Or what group?

FFR would be a fun build some day. Saw a GTM Supercar at the last event, it got a lot of looks.

I've raced a buddy's car in NASA and SCCA. Wasn't anything too special, I just raced HDPE and SOLO. It was an ERA GT I believe... it was years ago. I know she was a GT mkIII replica though. Gulf painted and all. Thing was SWEET with a 347 and toploader, could hit 80mph in first, just like the "old days." :D

I've been out of it a spell, and looking to get back in. The Factory Five Challenge Series, although not really prevalent around here, makes a sweet car. Just a couple different choices in cam and induction, and it'd be an easy 300 rwhp... webers and an Isky come to mind lol. Let alone Baer brakes as well.

For the Sn95 though, I'd probably keep her relatively "stock." Maybe. Also, if it's too nice, I'd just keep the Sn95. Like I posted, I can take my Lady and the half-pint all in the one car to Phoenix or Las Vegas. I'm half-way between them both. Can't do that in a Cobra.

just looked at one for sale today, at a dealership. Yeah... she was a 20/20 car :D man it was rough, and may even be stolen. She's a manual with the e-brake not working... hmm... plenty of other things wrong too - power seat didn't work, lots of things missing, rear end collision easily found under trunk carpet

and it had TFS intake stuff, and open exhaust with no computer tune (running rich, bogged down at idle) and the clutch sprung back like a truck's...

oh, and his idea of a "trade" for my truck, "$1500-2500 give or take, I'd have to check the auctions." He has a 1996 GMC Yukon on the floor, with 150K for 8 grand... and a 97 Dodge Dakota for $7000 with 125k. My truck is a 3500 4x4 454 SLT with only 77,000 miles and is a truck, it's nothing "show" or anything, but very clean, and mechanically sound. I don't know if I'm grumpy (I'm called GrumpyBadger for a reason lol) or what... looking online, I should at least get $4000 for the truck.

sorry, venting. Can't believe he wanted $4900 for that Mustang, and even then... wasn't willing to just trade for my Truck. That truck would be worth easy an extra $2000 over that Mustang asking price if it was on his floor.

oh well. Now on to Craigslist, so I can sell the truck to hopefully buy ba#97's track car :D honestly, as much as I'd love that drivetrain in a FFR car... I'd keep her just like he has it. Paintjob maybe, and definitely a removeable back seat. That's it. Car is sweet.

RichV

Reaction score
Well if you're building a track car, or even remotely thinking about one in the future, do your research. Pick a class that is either gaining steam or popular. Racing is no fun when it's just you in your class.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online