hey guys can u help me out with exhaust problem???

97vertstang

Reaction score
well my cousin has a 2000 gt and installed a summit o/r h pipe and 1 chamber flos and its loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the thing is that the first 2 o2 sensors are not connected and it idles like crap!!!and u can smell the fuel!!! what can i do??? i have a diablosport predator and turned off the last 2 o2 sensors and i thought i disconnected the first 2 and it works a little better but it stills idles like crap!!! any help????

STNG_96

Reaction score
Ok, first of all, are there no O2 sensors bungs in the front? If there arent you need to go and have a shop weld some in, if there are, just connect the sensors and it will solve your problem. The reason the car is running terrible is this, ford dosent just put those sensors in for no reason, they actually do have a purpose. Basically, what they do is measure the exhaust gases for certain things. One is the Air to fuel ratio. So right now, you have no front sensors, and your back sensors are turned off. Now what the computer thinks is that the car is running EXTREMELY lean, because it is not measuring any sort of unburnt fuel in the exhaust, so what it is doing is running very very rich tune to try to correct itself. My suggestion, either hook up the front 02s, or turn the back 02s back on until you can hook up the front O2s, then you can turn them off again.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
hey thanks , well the front 02s didnt reach so we cut them extended them and hooked em up and the idling problem got solved. the thing is now we think the car is too LOUD!!!!!!! were thinking of putting 2 of the stock cats welded on the o/r h pipe will that quiet it down??? keep in mind it has 1 chamber race flowmasters :eek:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Mine was too loud with the o/r H. My prochamber is pretty decent as far as noise goes and gives you "power you can feel", I still prefer a gutted stock H.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
change to a quiet muffler, or gutt the stock H like 94GT said.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
well, right now we just want to try the 2 cats in there. i just want to find out if it will tone it down, so if it wont we wont cut the stock h pipe. we just want to get rid of that raspy sound it has.its too damn raspy!!!!

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
The 2 cats will help quiet the exhaust note down, but it will still be LOUD with those mufflers. That's the reason I went from the american thunders to magnaflows. I guess I'm getting old or just like being able to hold a conversation in the car. :hammer:

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
well , me and my cousin made a deal, we're going to trade mufflers.2 chambers for 1 chambers.i got stock midpipe and im going to install my stock tailpipes with 1 chamber back on and he is going to have o/r h with 2 chambers and stock tailpipes what do u guys think for both cars??

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
hey can i just swap my pipe into his and his into mine so i dont have to pay a muffler guy to cut and reweld??

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
First get rid of those red-neck truck mufflers :hammer:, second I would get a quality X-pipe with or without cats. The mufflers are what is makeing the car so loud (I can imagine what that sounds like ::)) , the 1 chambers is what goes on race cars NOT STREET CARS ;D. If he wants flowmasters get the two or three chambers and it will sound MUCH better.

STNG_96

Reaction score
Dont get flowmasters at all! Sorry guys, get magnaflow, slp, or bassani

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
STNG_96 said:
Dont get flowmasters at all! Sorry guys, get magnaflow, slp, or bassani

hey I'm with you 100% I would go with SLP myself, but I didn't want to throw that out at him in case he is sold on flowmaster products

ALITL8

Reaction score
okay i stopped reading about halfway through but ive got a stock o/r h with the cats removed and pipe welded back in place of them. i also have the Flowmaster Super 40's... she's not too loud at all, sounds very good. i would just go to a quieter muffler (2 chamber, maybe :dunno:)

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
I agree with going with the X pipe. Forget the flows and go with magnaflows. You'll be much happier.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
well, we traded mufflers. i installed the 1 chambers in my car but installed my tailpipes back on.(i had turndowns). he fot my 2 chamber flos and the car sounds pretty good now. :thumb: i like how hes sounds better. my sounds nice but i thought it was going to be louder.its still good :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online