High Beams won't turn on

CampTheChamp

Reaction score
While the car is running the highbeams won't turn on, and no light on dash. However when the car is off in park the highbeams work fine, but no light still. Not sure what the issue might be...

OP
OP
C

CampTheChamp

Reaction score
While the car is running the highbeams won't turn on, and no light on dash. However when the car is off in park the highbeams work fine, but no light still. Not sure what the issue might be...
Forgot to add its a 95Gt

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is a strange one. I am not even sure where to tell you to start. If it were me I would get into the multifunction switch with a volt meter and see what is changing with the key on/off at the multifunction or ignition switch.

Actually just out of stupidity, start simple and get on your back and pull and inspect all the fuses. When your done there go check under the hood.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
thats a new one on me
maybe some wires crossed some where
make sure there is not any jumper wires to your headlight switch from your ignition or any where else
thats crazy

OP
OP
C

CampTheChamp

Reaction score
Forgot to add its a 95Gt
It happened when I switched my headlights to HIDs, and I swapped out my stock radio. I've had issues with my previous cars where if the Illumination dimmer wire is connected it messes with the headlights but I tried it with and without it connected and no fix.

OP
OP
C

CampTheChamp

Reaction score
that is a strange one. I am not even sure where to tell you to start. If it were me I would get into the multifunction switch with a volt meter and see what is changing with the key on/off at the multifunction or ignition switch.

Actually just out of stupidity, start simple and get on your back and pull and inspect all the fuses. When your done there go check under the hood.
I'll try checking the fuses this weekend

Adfalenski

Reaction score
With your HIDs, do you have dual or quad headlight housings? With dual headlights the wiring harness usually has a built in relay used to control the high beam switching and each HID lamp has another two-wire connector that controls the lamp in or out(the lamp usually has an electromagnet that moves the actual lamp bulb when using high beam). Quite often there is also a fuse in the HID wiring harness. Check all of your HID connectors and the harness fuse.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when you installed hids did you use the stock wiring directly or did you install a relay up under the hood?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The systems I used plugged into the left headlight connector for high and low beam.
ok so there was a harness that you ran between the two lights and a relay?

Also now reading your original post you say that they work with the key off. Do you have the headlight switch on and they work when you flip the switch forward or are we talking the flash to pass option where you pull back(towards you)?

OP
OP
C

CampTheChamp

Reaction score
ok so there was a harness that you ran between the two lights and a relay?

Also now reading your original post you say that they work with the key off. Do you have the headlight switch on and they work when you flip the switch forward or are we talking the flash to pass option where you pull back(towards you)?
I think you responded to the wrong person but it's works with flash to pass and with the keys out. No relays I don't believe I just took em out of the box and plugged them in

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you sure you have high beams at all and when you push the flash to pass with the key off that it isn't just turning on the low beams? HIDs are not a dual filament like the old halogen is so unless you add a high beam or use them in a projector with a high beam trigger I don't think you have high beams.

OP
OP
C

CampTheChamp

Reaction score
are you sure you have high beams at all and when you push the flash to pass with the key off that it isn't just turning on the low beams? HIDs are not a dual filament like the old halogen is so unless you add a high beam or use them in a projector with a high beam trigger I don't think you have high beams.
I do have high beams I can see a similar light pattern to when I had the stock ones

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Most HID systems use only one element that is spring-loaded in an “out” position. When highbeams are selected, the electromagnet retracts the element about 3/8” which changes the focus of the headlamp causing a highbeam pattern. As for the harness, the systems I have used came with a harness that connects both HID elements to the car’s headlight system. The harness connects to the battery and ground. A connector plugs into one of the headlight connectors to get the highbeam or lowbeam signal. With headlights off, the relay does not actuate the circuit that supplies the voltage to the HID system. A seperate circuit in the harness gets power when the highbeams are on which in turn activates the electromagnet in the HID element changing the lamp focus to highbeam. Whenever the headlights are on, the HID elements remain on only changing the focus when highbeams are selected.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok that is what I thought do you see where it says "low beam only"? HIDs are not dual filament like halogen bulbs are. If you want HID high beams you need to do a projector retrofit with a high beam activator or install another set of these bulbs.

TrickVert

Reaction score
... And in any case, no HID bulb will work with a reflector housing to form the proper beam pattern. You will always dazzle oncoming drivers.

The reason most HID's have single filaments is because housings designed for them have an electro-mechanical shutter that creates the beam cutoff and moves out of the way for high beams.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you are getting flashed by oncoming drivers, they are not complimenting your new lights. As he said the HID has a different output and they do not go all that well in our older style lights made with reflectors for halogens. They make them, and people do put them in but its not a perfect fit as you now see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995