Hill's 65 Restomod

OP
OP
Hill x 21

Hill x 21

Reaction score
Wow I need to check this thread more often. Totally good info duh09. I figured fuel pump shit out, just to find out I jumped the gun. Ordered the wrong Walbro, and the MSD in it was fine. Turns out it just wasn't getting power. Fuel filter we should've done with it, but it will be getting done soon. Here's a pic at the shop once she was ready to roll out.

Car was a little dirty and wasn't about to go to a car wash. Used some spray detailer my neighbor uses on his boat, shit came out pretty mint I think. Here's a 50/50 shot; left side was untouched, right was sprayed and buffed.

Lookin' good on all corners. Gonna shine up the chrome, get some tire shine on and clean up the glass tomorrow.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see you got it figured out! Now throw some pimp wheels on dat bissshhhh. This car and Dalamar's build lit a fire under my ass, going to get a motor for my 67 this weekend.

402057_2719730832454_1611986355_n.jpg

OP
OP
Hill x 21

Hill x 21

Reaction score
I'm kinda wondering how the 03/04 Mach wheels would look. That or this;

VNA695_15x8_Polished-P2-500.png

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
l_5ca67ed618e980ca209698116baf7c29.jpg

If picking just between your two choices, I'd rock the Mach 1 wheels, I'm not a fan of Ansen's.

OP
OP
Hill x 21

Hill x 21

Reaction score
Another wonderful update! Car hasn't left the driveway since sun/mon. Last time out cruising was well until I pulled in the driveway and saw a solid line of fluid behind me. As soon as the door opened I could smell gas. The fuel line from the pump to the filter is shitting out. Looking at going stainless braided up to the filter and then finishing from the filter to the rails in the spring.

Fuel pump is MSD 2225, and for lines I was looking at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-29490/overview/ and http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-29390/overview/ . Thoughts?

OP
OP
Hill x 21

Hill x 21

Reaction score
Since I'm replacing the lines up to the filter I need to drain the tank. Would it be at all smart to disconnect the line from the filter and just keep priming the fuel pump till it runs dry?

I've already siphoned gas out before and it was a PITA 1hr project.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Since I'm replacing the lines up to the filter I need to drain the tank. Would it be at all smart to disconnect the line from the filter and just keep priming the fuel pump till it runs dry?

I've already siphoned gas out before and it was a PITA 1hr project.

That would be the easiest. Look at your wiring diagram and jumper the FP at the CCRM so it stays on as long as the key is on.

OP
OP
Hill x 21

Hill x 21

Reaction score
So I never got around to doing those fuel lines. Got the stainless braided lines and think I went too short from the pump to the filter. So the '65 is basically taking a nap until April/May.

In other news, picked up another little "project". This will be keeping me busy until spring...

Jetta wheels FTW (I really do like 'em, wish I could find the same in 5 lug; or just get TSW Nurburgings)

So, as it sits (to my knowledge), it's a 1968 Coupe with I6. Ran well before paint. Basically, the guy I got this off of went through all the trouble of removing all trim, stripping the paint, respraying and clearing it just to decide he had too many projects going on. Judging by the five cool cars he had, pretty believable! My plans for this are really straight forward; convert front to disc (MustangSteve Caliper Mount with 13" 94-04 Cobras), get it running, reassemble interior and trim.

Here's the first part run. I may update with something tomorrow too as I've got to return the wheel studs. I gave the guy the PN for disc studs and got drum studs. Didn't find out until I went to have them pressed.

So some might wonder what I'm going to do with the '65. Well. Nothing right now lol. My plan in the spring is convert all fuel lines to stainless braided, change fuel filter, take out old rad with hole and drop in new rad from Howe racing. Will prob end up doing upper and lower hoses while I'm at it. But that's not even on my mind. I just want the '65 to run reliably, none of this "something broke" shit every two weeks. I'm sure the car will still have the axle popping noise by then, but we'll get there when we get there.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Nice find! both of those look like great projects. I'm hoping to pick one up in the next year or two, the 60s models just look so damn good

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Those Jetta wheels do look pretty good. 4 lug options are real slim for the old mustang's.
Do you have to run any spacers on them.

OP
OP
Hill x 21

Hill x 21

Reaction score
I'll be finding out soon about those spacers. Cars got 245/45/18s now. Part of me wants to dismount the tires, sell the four lug wheels and buy them in five lug. I'm hoping I can get the '68 running on the cheap. I picked up a lock cylinder set and just need to get (I think) the stud for the air cleaner.

I thought about getting the 1 to 2 brl conversion plate but I think in the long run switching out heads will be too much of a PITA for that.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Log onto mustang6association.com. and Ford6.com. web and FB.
I have a 66 i6 coupe I'm about to start it's revival on. So I've been gathering info on spicing up the i6.
Quite a few options but not very many are plug and play like the v8s.

OP
OP
Hill x 21

Hill x 21

Reaction score
Went up to the unit today and dropped this on;

Also brought a long flat head so I could pop the trunk!

Based on the limited shit I've taken out, I'm not sure much is going to be reusable since the guy crammed everything in. I'll be posting up what gets yanked out on thursday. Might bring the jumper up too and try to fire it up (seriously hope no pun happens!).

OP
OP
Hill x 21

Hill x 21

Reaction score
Well it's been a minute since I updated this. Took the cover off the '65 two weeks ago and found the amazing $255 Optima yellow top dead. Got it charged and dropped in. Car fired up like it hadn't even been sitting. Still leaking fuel 4" from filter. Was going to go stainless braided but ended up going with regular lines and a slightly smaller filter. In the process found out the car needs at least ball joints, plus some of the rubber in the front needs replacing. Still trying to find out what IFS it is that's made by Heidts. A buddy thinks the noise in the rear is the brakes and not the rear end. That's TBD.

The '68 found a new home with great potential (buyer owns 96 Cobra w/KB and a Fox) and the Silverado got wheels/tires. Was going to remove side steps but between a few bolts being stripped and having a couple friends *****, it hasn't happened.. Yet..

Took the truck to Staten Island with a few buddies to pick up his like-new 370z and that was the first time I could count how many pickups I saw in a day on one hand.

OP
OP
Hill x 21

Hill x 21

Reaction score
Hey, one month later update!

So this happened..

Yep. Pumpkin was bone dry. Apparently it had a leak. I swear it never leaked while I owned it. Either way, the gears were ****ed up and metal shrap took a number on the seals. The breather valve was gonzo and rear sway bar was removed. Kicker is it wasn't even mounted properly! So we took the path of lease resistance and just got another rear. I couldn't tell you what gears are in or if it's Posi (to be determined haha). I just can't wait to drive it; I'm hoping to get it either later today or tomorrow.

While at my buddy's shop about two weeks ago, we made the call to replace the water pump as well as a new gasket on the t-stat because of an unknown coolant leak. Timing chain seal was done at the same time.

The radiator was swapped out for another from Howe Racing. There was some fab work to get the new one in but not a big deal. Ended up needing another fan as well which. I ordered it monday from Amazon, selected overnight. Due to some "complications" it shipped out tuesday when it was supposed to be arriving that day. I flipped. I called every parts store within an hour away and nobody had anything that as 16" in diameter with 2" depth. I even checked a local speedshop. He thought he had a line on one but turns out Napa is retarded. Shoutout to Juan at Vraceworks though. Awesome dude, cool shop! He's definitely tuned into the Western Mass car scene. So doubting Amazon, I ordered a second fan from Summit overnight shipped. Both showed up today. The fan fit great. Being pissed at Amazon, we're returning their fan.

Just got a new camera that's way above my skill level but I'm looking forward to shooting my car and truck. I might be shooting my buddy's GT86 today if he's got time. Maybe meet up and shoot with [MENTION=18995]FivepointSlow[/MENTION] or [MENTION=11138]joekd[/MENTION]. Haven't seen either of those guys in like 2 years!

Next update will have Stang pics!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online