How To: A/C bypass 4.6

catch_15

Reaction score
So, I was looking at my engine the other day and decided that I wanted to bypass the a/c for when I go to the track. After researching it, the only thing I could find was the a/c bypass pulley. This presented a problem because I wanted to bypass it for the track only and then have a/c again when I'm done. I work at autozone, so it was pretty convenient when it comes to finding the right parts while on break.
Now, the main problem with trying to bypass the a/c compressor on the 4.6 is that the tensioner sits so close to the idler pulley that running a belt without the a/c would not be possible because it would bind in between these pulleys. Well, I did a little mixing and matching at work and found a solution.
I found an idler pulley that will bolt up to our engines that is a ribbed idler pulley and is actually a little bit smaller than stock. So, instead of having the belt running ribbed side against the smooth side of the old pulley, it is now running ribbed side in a ribbed pulley, which makes the belt sit down on the pulley tighter and thus, clearing the tensioner.
Here is a pic of the pulley needed.
40613a8d.jpg

The pulley I found is for a 2000 Crown Vic with the 4.6. It is Autozone part #231051 and lists for $16.99. Now comes the belt. I tried about 5 different belts before I found the right one. Keep in mind, I have Steeda Underdrives so you may not need the same size as me. I needed a 78" 6-rib belt (part #780K6)
Here's what the routing should look like after you're done.
Untitled.png

I'm sure there's some of you out there that would like to do this just like me so I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAR_19

Members online

No members online now.