how to fix shifter cable

Eddie97gt

Reaction score
I cant take my car out of Drive, I believe the shifter cable came loose or broke. How would I go about fixing this?

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
oh, jack up the car and disconnect it from the trans then from the top(shifter) and replace but make sure not to let the exhaust touch it. It really simple. but you may have to drill out some rivits.

St33da

Reaction score
REMOVAL

1. Place transmission range selector lever in DRIVE. Raise vehicle.
2. Remove transmission shift cable and bracket retaining bolts from shifter mounted bracket. Disconnect shift cable from shift lever ball stud.
3. Remove transmission shift cable and bracket retaining bolts from transmission mounted bracket.
4. Remove transmission shift cable retaining nut from transmission manual control lever and remove shift cable.

INSTALLATION

1. Install shift cable to shifter mounted bracket. Tighten screws to 12 Nm (106 inch lbs.). Connect shift cable and bracket to transmission range selector lever ball stud.
2. Install shift cable mounted bracket to transmission. Tighten nuts to25-34 Nm (19-25 ft. lbs.).
3. Place the transmission manual control lever in DRIVE as described in Adjustments. Apply a 1.4 kg (3 lb) rearward force to the transmission range selector lever, which should be in DRIVE.
4. Connect shift cable and bracket to transmission manual control lever. Tighten retaining nut to17-23 Nm (13-16 ft. lbs.) as described in Adjustments.
5. Check for proper shifter operation.

St33da

Reaction score
I cant take credit, I just copied and pasted it from ALLDATA, but thanks :drunk:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott

Members online