How to go drag racing (first timer tips)

joekd

Reaction score
Wrote this up awhile ago but thought this would be a perfect place for it

Ok, here we go...a lot of people like to drag race, however some people go to different extremes of the spectrum, so I will try to offer first the basic approach to racing, and on some, give suggestions for next steps or stages you could do....

Before we go to the track, there are some things to do.
1) Wash and wax the vehicle, this will not only prevent debris from your car from getting on the track, but the wax will also provide a slicker profile reducing drag.

2) Take out unnecessary weight. Removing the spare tire and jack components is one of the easiest ways to shed a few pounds before you get to the track. You can also go so far as removing the back seat, the passenger seat, the rear door panels, anything that is weight helps, as 100 pounds of weight removed is the equivalent of gaining 10 horsepower, which equals one tenth of a second in ET on the 1/4 mile.

3) Keep your fuel level in check. You want to run about 1/4 of a tank fuel or even less, you need enough fuel to get the track and back (unless you trail your car to the track) and enough for actual racing

Since gasoline weighs about 6.25 pounds per gallon keeping an extra 13 gallons out will help you out to the tune of .07 seconds.

4) Check all fluids before you leave. The worst thing is to go out and not have enough oil or coolant in your car to keep it running right. Make sure your oil is fresh and full. Coolant is very important for racing, since a cooler engine is a happier engine. You want to make sure you have the correct amount of water in to keep it cool and running at normal temps.

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Time for the track

Step One: Numbering and Tech inspection

Seems simple, but there is a correct way and an incorrect way to number your car. Most tracks number the car for you and will put the number on your rear window after tech inspection so it is easy to see from the tower when you are staging.

Tech inspection is different for each car. A mostly stock car with just a couple bolt-ons will get a basic safety inspection (battery hold down, no leaking fluid, etc) obviously if you have a car that runs 9’s the inspection will be a little more involved.

Step Two: Prep At the track

First thing is when you get to the track and you have passed tech (received your number and the go-ahead to race), you will want to put your car into your class's staging lanes. Tracks usually have one set of lanes for the higher classes of cars, and one set for the lower (Street) classes. At most tracks the first number is the lane you are assigned to for the night (this means car 301 would go to staging lane 3) If unsure where to line up ask the tech inspector before driving away.

1) Once you are in your correct lane park your car and put the hood up. Putting the hood up will allow the heat built up underneath your hood on the way there to escape and it will reduce the temperature of all intake parts. You can also remove your oil cap to allow internal heat to escape from the crankcase, and it also will help cool the oil, bringing higher oil pressures and improved oiling. Some people will even go a step further than this and purchase a bag of ice to place on the intake parts while the car is sitting to cool the temperatures even further.

2) Adjust your tire pressures. First off, you want the most traction possible, but you also need to be safe. Street tires do not like very low pressures, and if they are underinflated, you will have less contact patch than required. For your rear wheels you want to run an amount of pressure in the tires that will give you the best traction on launch, but will still be safe at the top end as underinflated tires are not the greatest for stability. The main thing is to keep the pressure on both side tires the same to give the most even launch.

For non-drive wheels you may want to slightly overinflate. The more air you have, the tires will crown and have a smaller contact patch, providing less rolling resistance upon launch. Also be sure to take a towel to wipe off any dirt or loose rubber, to shorten the time it takes at the line to prepare.

3) Before you pull up into the staging lanes to race, make sure you have replaced all caps you removed, and remove anything else you added to the motor (ice, drinks you may have placed down).

4) When your class is called move forward to the actual racing lane area. If you have a group of friends there, keep your temperatures down by pushing the car through the staging lanes until you are close enough to the front of the line that by the time you reach the front, your engine will just be getting to the first mark on your factory temperature gauge. Remember, engines work best at operating temp, not cold, not hot. If you don’t have a group to help push, start the car to move it, but avoid letting it run for extraneous periods of time, as this will just raise underhood temps.

Important note: At the time you start your car to prepare to stage, turn off traction control and any accessories.

5) As you start your car, make sure all of your safety equipment is fastened or being worn. NHRA and IHRA require that any car running 13.99 seconds on the 1/4 mile (8.59 seconds on the 1/8 mile) or quicker, that the driver be wearing a Snell M90 or higher approved helmet. The old rule of thumb used to be the higher the number on your helmet, the better it is, but now the 90s and 95s have given way to Snell SA and M2000 designations. There are also some tracks that require you to wear a helmet no matter how fast your car is, like the state of New Jersey. All tracks require at least a lap seatbelt, but pretty much anything made after 1984 have 3 point shoulder belts. When your car begins running quicker than 12.00 seconds, a 5 point minimum SFI approved race harness is required. Have your seatbelt and helmet on as soon as the engine is started, and make sure all windows are closed, as you cannot go down the track with them open.

If unsure about safety requirements call the track in advance.

You are now ready to line up

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Step Three: Starting Line

1. Burnout

If you are running standard radial street tires a burnout is not necessary, and can actually hurt performance. (The reason being that when street tires are heated excessively, such as during a burnout, they tend to marble up and build little balls of rubber on the tread) However, a light spin of your tires, maybe one or two rotations will get off all of the debris you may have picked up in the staging lanes.

If not doing a burnout go around the water box. If you do then you may need to spin the tires for a longer time to get all water out of your tread.

Of course, if you are running drag slicks or bias-ply tires, none of those rules apply. Bias ply tires and drag slicks respond very well to heat, and do not ball up like radials. If you are running slicks or bias plies, spin them only as much as required to build up the minimum amount of heat required for a perfect launch.

2) Staging.

This can be as simple as lighting up the 2 top yellow bulbs, or you can go into staging duals, shallow, or deep staging.

The top set of bulbs, under the "Pre Stage" designation light up as you pull your car within 6-8 inches of the stage light. This is the easiest step, and now it can go one of three ways to stage.
a) You can stage in a manner to get the lowest possible elapsed time (ET), and bump the car forward about an inch at a time until the second set of lights ("Stage") barely come on. This gives you the longest possible head start before the starting line, thereby giving you a lower ET. Doing a very shallow stage will slow down your reaction time (RT), but remember, RTs are independent of ET, so whether or not your reaction time is .500 seconds (perfect) or 1.5 seconds, your ET will be the same
b) You can roll further into the Stage beam so that it is fully on and you are about 3-4 inches closer to the starting line, which will speed up (lower) your RT, but will raise your ET, due to the smaller head start distance.
c) There is another choice, called Deep Staging. If you are going to deep stage your car, be sure to mark that clearly by your driver number on your car, by simply writing the word "DEEP." Deep staging is a popular idea for improving RTs significantly, because it puts you as close as possible to the starting line, but it also slows down your ET because of that reduced distance. A deep stage is one in which you roll your car first into the prestage lights, then you proceed forward to the stage lights. After you have both sets of top bulbs lit, you slowly and carefully roll your car forward until the Pre Stage bulbs turn off. This means your wheels have rolled so far forward that they are no longer in the beam of the pre stage lights. This puts you about 2-4 inches away from the actual starting line beam. If you are not careful during Deep staging, you can roll right through the starting line beam, thereby tripping the Red Light, and disqualifying you from the race before it starts. Some tracks will allow you to back up from a mistake like this during time trials, but very few will allow this during eliminations.

Now you are staged, and the lights are going to start dropping to start the race. The three amber lights will begin to countdown about 1 or 2 seconds after you are done staging, so be ready as soon as you are staged. Each amber bulb on the standard timing tree will stay lit for .500 seconds, so your total amount of time on the line will be about 2.5-3.5 seconds, depending on the starter.

Note – it is common courtesy to not begin your staging until the car in the other lane is done with his burnout.

3) Get your car up to launch RPM.

This will take nothing more than practice to decide which RPM is the optimal launch point for your car. Too low of an RPM and you will bog off the line, too high and you will get wheelspin.

Again it’s all a matter of trial and error. Automatics will generally stall as high as possible with one foot on brake, one on gas. They launch by releasing brake while flooring gas. Manuals take some practice and may involve slipping the clutch to avoid wheelspin.

4) Getting your Reaction Time right.

Rollout is the time it takes your car to move after you release the brakes. This means that to get a perfect, .500 second reaction time, you do NOT want to let go of the brake as soon as the green light comes on. If you were to let it go as soon as the Green came on, your reaction time would be .900, since it would be .400 rollout + .500 Green Light. Once the green light is on, your time is considered .500, you then add however long it takes for your car to break the starting line beam after the green light comes on.

To get a perfect launch you need to allow the 3rd (bottom) Amber bulb to come on and stay on for one tenth (.1) seconds. Leaving while the amber bulb is on allows your car to start the .400 seconds it needs to move before the green light comes on, thereby giving a lower reaction time. The one tenth rule is for Christmas Trees with incandescent (standard) light bulbs. If the track you are racing at uses the newer LED bulbs, then you will need to slow yourself down, as the LEDs in those light up 3 hundreths (.03 seconds) sooner than standard bulbs, so you have to allow the light to be on for .13 seconds.

Red Lights.

What’s the difference in .03 seconds you ask? A Red light is the difference. If your car crosses the starting line before the green light comes on, a red light will be displayed in your lane.

The computer doesn’t care if you left one thousandth (.001 second) early or 1 second early, an early start is a red light and a disqualification. If you launch your car after the final amber has been on for .07 seconds instead of a full tenth, your reaction time will then be .470, or a .03 second redlight, which is the same as a .499 redlight.

That’s it

That’s all I can do, the rest is up to you to run the length of the track, slow down after the finish line, and turn off of the track at a safe speed. Most tracks have the booth to get your timeslips right at the beginning of the return road. DO NOT SPEED ON THE RETURN LANE. You will see the posted speed limit, obey it. I have seen people kicked out for speeding on the return road and feel it is a justified action for the track to take.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions on anything you are unsure of. The majority of people you meet at the track are more then willing to help out and give tips.

Note – another courtesy is that the driver on the side of the return lane is always allowed to exit first. Also remember when racing at night most tracks require that you display at least one light on the front and one on the rear of your vehicle to follow you down the track.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Just read the whole thing, good details and useful info Joe. I'm going to Englishtown in the spring time with some friends and it'll be my first time as a track ever. My cars not going to run anything fast, maybe high 14s idk. I'll be emptying the trunk. Any tips for a beginner? Just want to run it down the track to have some fun and see what it'll do.

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Just read the whole thing, good details and useful info Joe. I'm going to Englishtown in the spring time with some friends and it'll be my first time as a track ever. My cars not going to run anything fast, maybe high 14s idk. I'll be emptying the trunk. Any tips for a beginner? Just want to run it down the track to have some fun and see what it'll do.

Best part about test and tune though, it's cheap and fun. I love going to test and tune nights.

Don't get high hopes for world record times. First time out expect wheelspin until you are used to launching it. Assuming you are running street tires you have to make sure you drive completely around the water box. Also pay special attention to the track rules about helmets.

You are almost never the fastest or slowest person there so just have fun with it and like I said, don;t be shy about asking questions

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sounds good man, I'm not expectin to run anything fast lol. I'm gonna be usin street tires unless I can find a used set of DR's within the next few months. I expect wheel spin. I'm not gonna launch it in first, gonna leave it in D, and leave OD on right?

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
For your first time yes, leave it in D and concentrate on not spinning, not red lighting, etc

Not sure of the distance for you bay want to look into lebanon valley, that's the track I go to, smaller and older but they have put some $$ into it lately so it's still a good place to run. No helmet rule until you get to the speeds where common sense says to wear one (I have 2 so I usually throw one in the car anyway "just in case")

Wed night test and tunes are only $20 and if you give me advance notice so I can leave work early I can try to meet up with you

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice write up joekd. Many tracks, states, and countries have different rules and procedures though. But the write up is very good and useful! I wish i read the stagging lights part before my first time.... no one explained how the lights worked. I ended up making it to finals in my class where i didnt stagging properly and it was pretty embrassing. I still wouldnt have won that race but yeah :p

Anyways if anyone is reading this and thinking about going to the track, i strongly recommend it! You dont need anything fast, just go and have fun. It is the funnest thing to do, your car wide open going as fast as it can. Personally, i enjoy racing against my own time and trying to improve.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea drag racing is the best . So much fun I've been addicted since my first outting like 10 years ago

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sounds good joe. How far is that track from Staten Island? I know Englishtown is a bout a little over an hour away from me.

OP
OP
joekd

joekd

Reaction score
Not sure, they are zip ciode 12062 if you want to take a look

This is their website www.dragway.com

rk122075

Reaction score
Sounds good man, I'm not expectin to run anything fast lol. I'm gonna be usin street tires unless I can find a used set of DR's within the next few months. I expect wheel spin. I'm not gonna launch it in first, gonna leave it in D, and leave OD on right?

Turn OD OFF!.... I found best results in an Auto with a little brake torque... But everyone wil have a slightly different technique. Until you're comfortable leave it on D with OD off and just have fun. As pointed out your reaction time has NO BEARING on your 1/4 mile time so The first couple times I raced I Didn't worry at all about the guy in the lane beside me and just practiced my launching... AGAIN JUST GO HAVE FUN! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online