How to crank the engine without starting it

GTamas

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to crank the engine with the starter, but without starting the engine?
I'm sure that disconnecting the ignition coil wire will do that, but wouldn't it soak the cylinders in fuel?

I just want to crank it a couple of seconds to help draining the old PS fluid out of the system. Or am I too lazy and should do it another way?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
On fuel injected cars, hold the gas pedal to the floor. This is essentially flood clear mode and the injectors will not fire.

On a 302, i also pull the center dist wire as added insurance in case the engine is flooded for some reason. Essentially the kills fuel and spark.

Anytime i do an oil change on a modern car, i crank it with the gas pedal mashed. Engine won't start and it allows me to build some oil pressure before I let it fire.

shovel

Reaction score
Is there an easy way to crank the engine with the starter, but without starting the engine?
I'm sure that disconnecting the ignition coil wire will do that, but wouldn't it soak the cylinders in fuel?

I just want to crank it a couple of seconds to help draining the old PS fluid out of the system. Or am I too lazy and should do it another way?

For fluid exchanges on "sealed" transmissions and power steering I usually just do 2 or 3 drain-and-fills a week (or some equivalent driving) apart from each other. It means wasting a little fluid but it's infrequent maintenance. Maybe I do it the foolish way I'm not uncomfortable being the fool.

Last edited:

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Small flat tip screwdriver into the fuel pump inertia crash safety switch in the driver side of the trunk, all the way in the back against the driver side tail light. Insert small screwdriver and lift up under the red switch. After finished, push down on the red button. Ford even put a little cut into the trunk liner so that it's a quick access.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online