How to install a Canton oil pan and windage tray on a 2001 Cobra Convertible

cobraracer46

Reaction score
A quick right up on how l installed a Canton road race oil pan and windage tray on my 2001 Cobra Convertible.

The Parts:

Canton road race 4.6 5.4 Oil pan and windage tray. The exact same parts that Ford installed on the 2000 5.4 cobra R mustang.
can20939.jpg

Canton oil pan stud kit
22364.jpg

New oil pan gasket
OS34307R_TOP.jpg

Victor Reinz Silicone sealant.
W01331636737REI.JPG

To install the Oil pan, I removed the K Member and installed at the same time as the oil pan was a fresh set of energy suspension poly motor mounts and JBA shorty headers.

There was a slight amount of fabrication needed to get Canton oil pan onto my 01 Cobra:
The Factory oil pick up needed to have stock scraper cut off so it would clear the new Canton windage tray.

The Canton windage tray need to bent slightly to clear the factory pick up and this was easily done with a long blade screw driver.

The Canton oil pan had to drilled in the front for the Vortech Blower oil return fitting.

the Convertible brace had to modified to clear the new oil pan and my solution was to weld on some spacers and weld on some brackets to the outer part of the Convertible brace.

Some pics of the convertible brace modifications and oil pan install:
9345187872_ff32b6ba01_b.jpg

9342398681_3f7cbc7986_b.jpg

9345193458_a60e1b2471_b.jpg

To seal the pan, I used a new gasket between the pan and the windage tray and silicone between the windage tray and the engine block as per Canton's directions. After driving the car for a few days there are no leaks. Thank GOD.

I filled the new oil pan with 8 quarts of RED Line 5W30 oil and with the stock dip stick, the oil registered at the half way mark. The owners manual for the 2000 Cobra R says that the engine oil Capacity is 8 quarts so I did not want to fill it any more than that.

I'm really happy with the way this project turned out and as for the New poly motor mounts, I did not notice any increased NVH with them and they solved a cluncking noise that the car was making.

3Dglasses

Reaction score
Very nice. If I ever do a K-member I would consider doing this at the same time. Thanks.

venom

Reaction score
I did not have any luck with mine so switching to a 3V stock windage tray that sits inside the pan and costs $25. Only issue is that you have to use studs with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnknownArmy

Members online