-:How To: Paint:-

OP
OP
whiplash473

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dick.. Deletin my posts an shit... Haha my bad dude wasn't trying to fock shit up, it's just how I roll! But now seriously you should sticky this! This is a very valuable how to, and before too much longer I plan on gettin some paint and doing my wing.. So I'll be referencing this thread, and your phone, when I do it.

How-To of the month... WHIPPY!

i don't have mod permissions in tech/how-to......and you should send your wing to me..ya know..so it comes out good

Great write up so far! I did a bunch of the prep on my car, but let my dad spray. Didn't want to do years of work and try my hand at painting... Lots of respect for people that do this for a living, definitely not easy.

yeah i don't blame ya......w00t i now have the juiciest of orange's respect

good looking write up so far.
Are you going to go into the differances in solvent based paint and the newer waterborne paints? -yeah i will
Can you put waterbased paints on top of solvent primers? -yes you can..there are no waterborne primers..waterborne is only basecoat
How about the differances in spraying plastic pieces vs. sheet metal. -there is no difference in spraying plastic vs metal..just a difference in prep and materials used (in some instances)
There's thousands of what if's when it comes to automotive painting. -yeah there's probably more "if's" in this occupation that almost any other
Chris had a good idea with some youtube links. Might keep you from wearing out your keyboard from all that info -agreed..i'll be taking a few videos while working on my car which will be nice for many of you since you'll be able to reference any pointers i give directly to your own vehicle

don't forget the tip to wet down the floor of the area you are going to paint, while you paint so that fresh dust will be caught and old dust not stirred up to keep it out of the paint.

this is true but this is needed in cross draft booths more than anything..but as i'm typing this i realized most aren't spraying in a booth so thanks for the reminder, scott

I wet myself

Sent on the toilet from my SGH-T679

you'd shit yourself if you saw the dry spots i had on this hood today..idk what happened..i had to scuff it and reclear it..4 coats of clear on that damn hood now

OP
OP
whiplash473

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i don't even really get a discount..when my shop switches to waterborne then i'll have a serious paint collection tho

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I heard of waterborn what's the break down on that.. All i heard it cures faster less toxic or some crap.. Only thing i ever sprayed was gel coat..

OP
OP
whiplash473

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
it's really easy to spray..a giraffe standing backwards and spraying upside down thru his legs can make waterborne look decent.......the color match is phenominal..most colors have a ton of alternates and you end up having to make your own since PPG variant chips are for cars that (i beleive) do not exist..they never match right......waterborne also blends great..i have yet to find a need for a blend additive with waterborne..it lays out really nice

chrisv_10

Reaction score
you'd shit yourself if you saw the dry spots i had on this hood today..idk what happened..i had to scuff it and reclear it..4 coats of clear on that damn hood now

lol. I had the corner right about the taillight on a bedside wrinkle on me. I have no idea why it did that. I was like, wtf. I'm gonna fix tomorrow.

I heard of waterborn what's the break down on that.. All i heard it cures faster less toxic or some crap.. Only thing i ever sprayed was gel coat..

I love waterborne. I wish the shop i work at now did waterborne. It's easy to spray, easy to clean up, and dries fast. Only thing is you have to have one gun mainly for waterborne paint. You mix that shit with solvent based paint and it makes a nasty clumpy mess.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
I learnt where to look for the paint gun instruction manual :) lol jk good write up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online