How to Replace the E-Brake Cable

Cox98Gt

Reaction score
So my E-brake cable broke a week ago and I finally tracked down where to get it and got the time. So here is the write up.
I could tell that the forward cable was broke by looking through the hole for the E-brake cable but for the sake of good information here is the right way.

First remove the black plugs on top of the center console box(they are rubber and just pull out) then remove the 2 screws.

The box will just pull out and then you can see the problem.

For removal the wire on the handle it just lifts up and slides out, to you will have to remove the bottom you will need (a jack and 2 jack stands) first you need to extend the jack stands to full length and jack the rear of the car all the way up and place the stands ON THE BODY OF THE CAR.(don't forget to block the front and rear of your front tire to prevent rolling) You need to lower the rear end down so that you have the most room above your driveshaft. You can remove it but I didn't. Once it is up you can slide under and see what is left your old one.

Old Next to New

OP
OP
C

Cox98Gt

Reaction score
Now the fun part reassembly, the wire for the handle goes in through the bottom and then you pull it through as much as you can to help yourself reattach it first. You will have to turn the spring forward and attach the wire like you removed it.(this took me the longest, hand got tired)

Then you climb back under the car and pull the equalizer bar and hook the cables back one at a time.

What the cable will look like after everything is reattached

Then slide the box in and reattach the screws

It took about 1 hour to 1.5 hours to do it.

Suspect

Reaction score
good stuff.

btw my FRs would look good on there! ;)

OP
OP
C

Cox98Gt

Reaction score
I'm currently working on getting y2ks. Thanks

Mike_98GT

Reaction score
Perfect timing. My gfs 96 gt just broke and it will need replacing. Seems simple enough. Where did you get the replacement cable?

OP
OP
C

Cox98Gt

Reaction score
On ebay. The ford dealership locally told me they dont carry it anymore.

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Great write up. It's also a good idea to replace the rear E brake cables as they streach over time, especially the right side cable. I discoverd a streached e brake cable on my 90,000 mile 2001 Cobra.

Rock auto has the e brake cables for around 20 bucks each.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online